VVR in 36 watt TMB & question

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

ajkimba
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

VVR in 36 watt TMB & question

Post by ajkimba »

I was wondering if Dana's VVR would work in a 36 watt TMB cathode biased?

Also, my 18 watt is not loud enough to compete with larger amps on gigs without a PA. I am debating whether to build a 36 watt or a el34 plexi type amp.

My 18 breaks-up too much at high volume and is just not quite loud enough anyway. Classis rock and roll but on the clean side, just past break-up and maybe a little futher. My second choice was a plexi running el34's, that's 45 watts (I think) and may be too much? I'm so used to miking my 18 so I could get any tone I wanted but some places we play don't have a PA.

I picked up a Ceritone chassis for a 36 watter, any suggestions much appreciated. I also would like to install a VVR for what I build.
0 x

ur12
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by ur12 »

Plexi has installed the VVR with great success on a few 36 watters. He also just did a VVR install on a older Bassman using the fixed bias board and had no problems. The Bassman would be about the same as installing it in a Plexi and you should not have any trouble with either of those amps as far as the VVR is concerned.
0 x

ajkimba
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by ajkimba »

Thanks, Dana.

BTW, you're VVR is working great, I have about 30 hours of hard playing on an 18 watt with it installed. It's in three 18 watt type amps, all good. :D
0 x

ur12
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by ur12 »

ajkimba wrote:Thanks, Dana.

BTW, you're VVR is working great, I have about 30 hours of hard playing on an 18 watt with it installed. It's in three 18 watt type amps, all good. :D
I'm glad it is working out for you. I have had one in my 18 watt for about 3 years now. That 36 watter is a beast and I'm sure you'll love it. I would go with the tone stack lift mod and maybe a switchable NFB on a couple of pull pots. You could also switch it over to fixed bias and use the fixed bias VVR. I have one 30 watt (4) EL84 amp that I switched over and it seems to make the amp a little more lively. Best of luck with your build!!
0 x