Older Magnavox Stereo amp Transformers

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Standard2

Older Magnavox Stereo amp Transformers

Post by Standard2 »

I have totally given up on ever receiving the Shinrock Transformers I paid for, so am now searching for trannies that will work in my Ceriatone 36 watt.

I found an old Magnavox Stereo console that used 4 7189 tubes, and was wondering if I could use the output trannies??

It is a stereo version of the 36 watt amp, and I want to use both trannies tied together for the output. Is this possible??? can I just tie them together lead for lead, and end up with an output that would work for my 36 watt??

I am assuming the power transformer is no problem to use, It is coming from an amp with the exact same power tubes I will be using, but am curious about how many taps I need for the entire complement of tubes. My 36 watt is done with the exception of the trannies. I have NOS tubes ready to pop in when it is finished. I am quite sad about the entire Shinrock episode, and regret EVER sending the man any funds as he NEVER sent me anything and I am still considering contacting the authorities in Germany to pursue those dollars and get at least some satisfaction of the man taking my money and not sending me the goods.
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

Those old stereo PP EL84 Magnavoxes are actually very highly-regarded in the hi-fi world, and are somewhat sought-after. If you restored it (quick cap job, power cord, check the resistors and a new set of JJ's) you could probably sell it for the price of a good "real" 36 watt set, or you could have an incredible home stereo.

But to answer your question, yes, it can be done. There are some threads on it here if you dig around, try searching for "parallel output transformer" I think.
0 x