6SJ7 Pentode 18 watt Lite...Formerly the ABSOLUTE Minimum

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

Man.... now you guys are making me wonder if I should just change out the EF86 preamp I have in my 18W for a 6U8. Bought a couple to put in another amp which I can't find the time to build, so they're just sitting there. Same valve socket, change the pentode/triode switch (which I never use) out for an interstage volume, and I'd be good to go. Gone off the EF86 stage quite a bit lately anyway. Mmmm.....
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

DP, go for it Dude !!!! :wink:

Kato , Might give that a try ... the 6U8 does work and sound rather Nice as already proven in many amps ... :thumbsup:
0 x

Dustpuppy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Dustpuppy »

Got the board done last night. 2"x12" and managed to get the filter caps on too. I think tonight it's chassis drilling time. I'll try to get a photo up.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Now here's an interesting idea ... having a triode in front of the 6SJ7 with a TMB between the two ... 8O (Not Absolutely Minimum , but I guess we're not bothered with that any more :roll: )

Referring to the words of our Fearless Leader ZP ... " You can also place the triode and a TMB tone stack in front of the pentode, since the triode has a very low anode impedance suitable for directly driving low-impedance tone stacks.This also helps overdrive the pentode more, so you can enjoy more of those nice rich chimey harmonics. "

Very interesting , and a bit more gain to play with !!!!!!! 8O

DP, anxious to see the pic... :wink:
0 x

Dustpuppy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Dustpuppy »

I've got all but the IEC wired on this new 7 pin amp. I used 6c4's for the triodes so I'm not sure what the PI is going to do. I'm not a fan of the tmb tone stacks so, I used my favorite, the tweed princeton single knob. Once I finish wiring it up, I'll post some gut shots.
0 x

Dustpuppy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Dustpuppy »

Ok, I finished the amp tonight. At first it was extremely clean and chimey at all volumes and the gain had no effect. I rechecked the wiring and found it was incorrect. I fixed that and it was louder with a little breakup with the gain. I had a 330uF voltage divider after the first 6c4 so I removed that and gave it a 2k cathode resistor. This thing rocks now. It is very chimey with the 5654 but lacks some of the 18 watt punch with the 6c4 PI. I'd like to find a hi MU 7 pin to put in there. the tone has a little bit of a muffled sound like the mids are a little low. I'll continue to tweak. All in all I'd call this a success. Definitely a different amp from the 18 pentode.

Here are some crappy iphone pics of the finished product.

http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/ad89 ... 20pentode/
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

NICE build DP !!!!!!! :thumbsup: 8)
0 x

insanecopilot
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by insanecopilot »

Nice job dp! I have a couple of 6c4's laying aroud that i wondered about, but i thought they were like 1/2 of a 12au7. Do you have a schematic?
0 x

Dustpuppy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Dustpuppy »

Here you go bud, I'm pretty sure this is the as built.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad89 ... e/7pin.png
0 x

insanecopilot
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by insanecopilot »

It's a very interesting design. Very original :thumbsup:

I would like to hear it after you get it tweaked. The 18watt guru's might want you to move it to Watkins or something though. I have two Hammond ao29's i was planning to get to soon that have a couple of these 6c4's in them. That's why your design piqued my curiosity. good job though.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yes, looking at that particular schematic, almost everything appears to have been changed from the 18W design. So maybe our companion site ppwatt.com is where it will be most at home. :)
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

That is er, ... different ... I think it should have a proper home of it's own too ... but since Wattkins is currently discussing the 6AQ5 , it would be of Some interest in the Tone per Buck Club thread 8) ... and much appreciated , unlike .... well , lets not get into that ... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

insanecopilot wrote:I have a couple of 6c4's laying aroud that i wondered about, but i thought they were like 1/2 of a 12au7.
I think 1/2 of an ecc804 is a more accurate description.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Dot , always on the lookout for good usable tubes to make amps out of ... :wink:
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Just FYI, we found out the Russian 6Z8 is a replacement for the 6SJ7 ... just in case you have trouble finding the 6SJ7 ...
0 x

Dustpuppy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Dustpuppy »

I've seen the 6x8 and 6j8 advertised as 6sj7 equivalents. Anyone have any experience with them?
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

DP, I'm going to order some and check them out !!! Cheap enough eh !!!
0 x

Dustpuppy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Dustpuppy »

Cool, can't wait to see a full report on them!
0 x

insanecopilot
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by insanecopilot »

Don't know about those but i have tried the 6sh7 and 6sg7 which i got at a surplus for cheap. the 6sh7 is brighter with slightly more gain than the 6sj7 without rewiring anything.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Insane , Thanks ... yet another tube to try ... :thumbsup:

Thinking now about putting a 6N2P in front of the 6SJ7 for even more gain ... 8O This could get Crazy .... :lol:
0 x