36w Lite Questions

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

adamshame

36w Lite Questions

Post by adamshame »

Has anyone tried to build one? I plan on just following the schematic of the Lite IIb for the preamp and the 36w power amp. Would this match up pretty well, or would I have to tweak anything to make it work. I can follow schematics/layouts pretty well, but the theory is slightly over my head. I have completed a 18w Lite that I will probably never get back because my friend keeps giving me excuses on why he can't bring it over. :?

Also, does Heyboer make a OT for the 36w and is it around the same size/footprint of the their 18w OT? I have one of those brown note chassis that were just for sale, and I was thinking it would be an excellent fit for this application.

Thanks!
0 x

BooBird
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BooBird »

Hi Adam, If you click on the (Downloads} over on the left side of page it'll give you the layout's for the 36 watter's, i'm sure any of the 18 watt pre/amp's will work for the 36 watter,
I'm sure you'll get help from Phil or Gil on which would be best for your build,
I have one of Brownote's chassis's too ! If i remember correctly he said it would take most Transformer's for a 18 or a 36 watt amp,
Boo
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

IIRC, GDS has a 36 watt Heyboer PT that fits the 18 watt pt hole.
0 x

adamshame

Post by adamshame »

Thanks guys! I will be starting on this as soon as I get my resistor order from Mouser.
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

I like the idea of a 36 watt lite,as the 18 watt lite has almost no headroom to speak of.
I'm going to do one soon too.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yes, you can basically build an 18W Lite IIb with a quad of EL84s in the power section, and suitable iron. In fact Barry aka "loverocker" of Amp Maker had successfully prototyped one of these, before he fell ill. Now that he's back around, maybe he'll be able to resume his work with these. :)

It might be a good idea to configure the power stage as two PP pairs, with each pair sharing its own 150 ohm cathode resistor. Then if you want to run at half power, you can pull one pair of tubes and change the OT's impedance selector, and your tubes don't get melted.
phsyconoodler wrote:....the 18 watt lite has almost no headroom to speak of.
Which I reckon is one of it's best features! :mrgreen:
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

loyjdockery
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by loyjdockery »

Although I'd say if you want to run it half power, the VVR would be a much nicer option. It does involve a few more parts, but is well worth it when you consider going down more than half power with variability (especially since a master volume isn't nearly as cool with a Lite IIB as it is with a higher gain preamp).

In the end, the 36W is pretty simple to implement. These kinds of changes are pretty much cut and paste (remember... different power and output transformers, probably some higher wattage resistors in the power section)
0 x
Loy Dockery
Dockery Amps
http://www.dockeryamps.com

BooBird
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BooBird »

Adam, got my 30 watt Dagnall power transformer in, it fit's the B/N Chassis to a tee ! now to figure out what to build :?:
Boo
0 x

adamshame

Post by adamshame »

BooBird wrote:Adam, got my 30 watt Dagnall power transformer in, it fit's the B/N Chassis to a tee ! now to figure out what to build :?:
Boo
I have a Heyboer PT for mine. I just need to scrounge up a OT for it. I may try a MPS 40w OT that should work.

The only other thing I need now is free time!
0 x

BooBird
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BooBird »

That's what i gotta order next, the O/P transformer also Adam, but i did get started on mine, I'm looking for RockABilly Nirvanna ! :lol:
I've decided on the Lite llb and the EF86 Chan's, still got a long way to go though !
Anyway I'll be watchin your post's and i guess i'll make a post of my build,
Boo
0 x