Neodymium too bright!!!

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Crystal
Unrated

Neodymium too bright!!!

Post by Crystal »

Anyone else feel they* are way too bright, and the bass is really lacking.
I compared it to a 60s Celestion(a Rola with wizzer), G12K85, G12T and a Weberbluedog in the same cab...

*Eminence Tonkalite 12"
0 x

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

1. What kinda cab do you have it in?
2. Did you break it in?

I have a Tonkerlite 12" and a Jensen Neo12-100 (both 8ohm). Each are in 1x12" oversized, open backed cabs I built from solid pine with birch baffles.

The Tonkerlite sounds fine to me, but everyone has different tastes.

In other, closed back cabs the Tonkerlite had great bass - but I needed two open backed cabs for some added volume via rear-projection with these portable cabs for quick, lightweight lugging to practices/jams (Tonker for Brit sounds, Jensen for American tones).
0 x

Crystal
Unrated

Post by Crystal »

It's in a detuned 1x12 cab, something like a 2x12 but with one speaker left out. The speaker has only had 6 hours of play compared to the others with literally 1000s of hours, or the Rola with 10s of thousands.

So yes, it prolly could be broke in some more.

Thanks for the reply.
0 x

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

If you still don't like it once she's broken in, let me know. Maybe I'll take it off of your hands if the impedance and price is right.

I hate grilled onions, but some folks love em to death... different strokes for different folks :)
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

I fitted some Celestion Century in a 2 X 12" 18 watt for a player several years ago. The reason I fitted them was because they were 103db, in other words very loud and very efficient.

I did not like the tone, too stiff and sterile. But, after paying so much for them left them in. They took months of at least twice a week gigging to break in. Now they really have comparable tone to a G12H.

The other reason the player likes them is because the 2 X 12 is so light to carry.

Steve UK

www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

yeah,the light weight of Celestion Century is 8O ,
very gig friendly at 4,4 lb /2.0 kg ,
Century Vintage at 98db and 3.7lb /1.7kg :!:

Are you suggesting to put these speakers on transformer type broke in process to get something simillar to G12H/or G12M? :?
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

Definitely, I think there is a very old thread from years ago about breaking in speakers.
It could have been Plexi (Richie Hall) or Zaphod Phil who detailed how they left a speaker in the garage ? connected to a radio ? or something like that ?

A signal generator would just be at the same frequency.

I am just thinking of breaking in the flexible cone supports and the cone I suppose ?

Steve UK

www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yeah, I connect the speaker(s) to a 6.3V filament transformer (via a 10ohm power resistor for safety), and leave the thing humming away in the garage for a couple of days. :lol: If you have two speakers, wire them anti-phase and place them face to face with their rims touching. Then one sucks the air while the other one blows, and vice versa.

IIRC there are two Celestion Neo speakers. The Celestion Century is said to have a somewhat more sterile tone, but is slightly louder, than the Century Vintage.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

JoeV
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by JoeV »

Too bright is easier to fix than too dark. If turning the tone knob down doesn't help enough, tinker with the volume control bypass values in the amp. (Assuming you don't want to just trade out the speaker for one you like better.)
0 x
Joe V.
www.amplates.com
Custom Faceplates for DIY Guitar Amplifiers
...and Photo Grille Cloth, too!