Ikea cabs Flat packed

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Ripstich

Ikea cabs Flat packed

Post by Ripstich »

Hey, need some feed back from a few builders. I have had to re-do my wood shop and I have this idea that I would like to run buy you guys. My thinking was that I could pre-cut cabs and heads with either finger joints or doves tails, and then just ship them flat. Postage would be a little cheaper and so would the cost. All a guy would have to do is just screw it and glue it.

This way the new guys wouldn't have to go out and buy all the wood working equipment for a decent amp cab. I have the connections for high quality lumber, and all the tools to do the job correctly, and way too much time on my hands.

All feed back would be greatly appreciated: Hell, I just appreciated being appreciated.

Doug
AKA RipStitch
0 x

gwtekman

Post by gwtekman »

I like the idea :-)
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Ditto!!! Most of us are trying to save our fingers...!!!! 8O Pre-cut is a great idea!!! Should be affordable to most depending on the wood choice ,huh??? :thumbsup:
0 x

Krisp
Unrated

Post by Krisp »

I'd be interested if you could ship to Europe for a reasonable cost.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

On one hand, I am surprised that flat pack hasn't emerged sooner in the amp cab business. Flat pack has been around for years in the furniture industry, so, I applaud your willingness to do it and I think it's a great idea.

I think you are talking either about bare wood or pre-finished wood, but not tolex or similar covering. Covering will be up to the customer.

I've done a number of Ikea projects and now am darn good at it. They have this awful way of making it so the parts will only go together one way, but time after time, the assembler's failure to notice subtle differences in part orientation, hole placement, etc., leads to serious frustration.

You will do best if you figure out how to idiot-proof the assembly process and then test it on two kinds of idiots. One kind is the dumber than a bag of hammers, and the other is smarter than the average bear (I'm not saying what type I am). Both are idiots and will make different mistakes. One isn't smart enough to see the assembly clues, and the other sees them but can't process them in his mind's eye. Once you get some test data, you can perfect your assembly process.

If you can mark the parts, maybe with letters (match A to A), or numbers, or colored ink, in places that won't show, I think that would go a long way. I think simplest assembly is a dovetail joint, provided the assembler knows the in-side from the out-side.

Good luck to you.
0 x

sub
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by sub »

Krisp wrote:I'd be interested if you could ship to Europe for a reasonable cost.
+1
Great idea Doug! :thumbsup:
0 x

Krisp
Unrated

Post by Krisp »

There can't be more than 7 or 8 parts to a cab so it should be pretty idiot proof anyway.

As for Tolex. I'm with the guy who posted that when he's gone to the trouble of building an amp he doesn't want it to look like it just came off the shelf in the shop. I varnished my head cab and it looks great.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

A great idea! I'd love to see someone doing this. :D FYI Torres in the UK sells flat-pack cabinet kits - http://www.torresamps.com/amplifier_cabinets.htm Somewhat pricey though, for what they are IMO. I would guess Torres Engineering in the US also has them, although it's harder to find them in their somewhat disorganized web site.

Personally, I have had very little problem with assembling IKEA stuff. Fortunately, you don't have to cover it on tolex after you finish building it. :lol:
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

One assumes, that if you're smart enough to build an amp, assembling a box would be "elementary"... So many finishing options ,once you have the basic cabinet...and your fingers :idea: :D
0 x

pygmey
Unrated

Email

Post by pygmey »

Ripstitch can you email me at eschlichte at idtdna.com???
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

One assumes, that if you're smart enough to build an amp, assembling a box would be "elementary"...
One could assume all they want, but there are those who, like "Rainman," (not necessarily autistic,) are very talented in one area, and complete idiots in another.

But I am for one, all for "kit" cabinets, particularly ones that match the pre-made chassis available (pre-drilled and blank). I also like the idea of being able to get custom sizes.

Cheaper shipping is ALWAYS good.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

Ripstich

Post by Ripstich »

Thanks for the positive responses; I’ve had the fore sight on many of the contingencies. Chassis and mounting being of paramount importance. And I have had my share of poorly mounted chassis dropping into a speaker or reverb-pan. And for some reasons this gender issues of "I know what I am doing", seems to always be a secondary thought. I will be providing a pretty fool proof assembly guide. But then I only speak one language “Okie”

I also have a local Guitar shop that is willing to let me blue print and measure all the vintage cabs that are at his disposal.

But my thinking is choices, choices and more choices. Of mix and match various styles so that it really can be either a dream cab or exact reproduction. Also I just recently acquired a box and pan break, and found my dads old Saturn style tube punches.

Losing the power might have turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me in a long time.

Email has been sent as requested.
0 x

echuta13
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by echuta13 »

Well I can only speak for myself when I say that so far... my cabs look mostly like they were made by a 10year old (no offense to any 10 year olds reading this...) :lol:
I've left a lumberyard full of mismatched dovetailed pineboards in my wake, so I think your idea has a lot of merit Ripstich. :D
0 x

Ripstich

Post by Ripstich »

Thanks Zap, I wasn't aware of Torres in the UK selling flat-pack cabinet kits - http://www.torresamps.com/amplifier_cabinets.htm, but that’s not going to stop me from pulling this together. And I did think that his prices were too HIGH. Simple products with simple parts really should be reasonably affordable. Building an amp should not be a $1000.00 endeavor, unless of course your building that High-end audiophile amp, that won’t distort no matter what pedal you put in front of it!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Ripstich wrote:I wasn't aware of Torres in the UK selling flat-pack cabinet kits - http://www.torresamps.com/amplifier_cabinets.htm, but that’s not going to stop me from pulling this together.
Nor was I trying to deter you - the opposite in fact. IMO it just proves you've got a viable idea there, that Torres have kindly been the guinea pigs for, and since their prices are real high, you've basically got most of that market to yourself. :)
Ripstich wrote:And I did think that his prices were too HIGH. Simple products with simple parts really should be reasonably affordable. Building an amp should not be a $1000.00 endeavor.
+1
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Ikea inspired cabs... nice

I was thinking about doing something similar over here in the future, so yeah it’s a great idea! the few in the UK that did make cabs are no more or cost a lot (ref Torres again), I am in the process of drawing up standard cab details which will be available to anyone once they are done.

goodluck

Mike
0 x

gwtekman

Post by gwtekman »

You could also do like a head cab out of MDF meant to be CHEAP and meant for covering...I think that could be a good market to peeps on a tight budget (like me!) , lol
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Might be good to do just a few standard size pieces...that could be assembled into a number of size configurations...
9"
12"
18"
24"
30"
36"
something like that in nominal width (10"?)... a few pieces could make many sized cabinets...and you wouldn't have to stock a million odd size pieces that don't "move"...
0 x

mcrracer
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mcrracer »

gwtekman wrote:You could also do like a head cab out of MDF meant to be CHEAP and meant for covering...I think that could be a good market to peeps on a tight budget (like me!) , lol
Is MDF still a material of choice? Too heavy and if it ever gets wet all bets are off.
I believe a good grade (cabinet makers grade) of plywood would most likely be best.
I have used both and will never use MDF again.
0 x

Ripstich

Post by Ripstich »

Oh Zap what are you trying to do protect your job? I am not insulted at all; in fact I am open to any and all suggestions. These are some pretty tough economic times that we are looking at, and I am listening to the consumers and there needs. I just wasn't aware of Torres and there cab concept, but I do know that I can aspire to be better and provide the best customer service that I can. These mark ups in this field do not have to be the same as blood diamonds, and motivated by the greed that got us into these economic times either! And history has shown that all it takes is just a few enterprising individuals to change the market to ever ones advantage.

It's just that I have grown tired of being a scraper of an amp hobbyist. I am now thinking of the box and it's most expensive components. How can I help make this an affordable rewarding hobby for those that are interested in this pursuit of tone.

It's just that I came to the realization that most guys would kill for my woodshop alone. And I haven't really done much with it. Now with my recent down time I rediscover that I have all the equipment to do screened inst. panels. I have the box and pan break, I have my father’s old Saturn style tube and cap dies. And with much thanks and appreciation from the knowledge gleaned from a post earlier this year. I experimented with aluminum anodizing and metal dyeing (I liked my VOX panel). All I need now is a 500 watt CO2 laser and a xy stepper transit. And my daily fix of 18watt.com

Without the help of all that is 18watt.com, guys that never should have touched a soldering iron, have built an amp, and have lived to tell others of this great site, and the story of their amp. (I hope they documented it) So I would be hard pressed to ever be insulted by any thing that goes on here. You guys run a clean ship and have helped save countless lives.

This is my way of giving back to this community.
0 x