Ikea cabs Flat packed

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

creeble

Post by creeble »

Ripstitch:

I like it a *lot* -- of course, price depending. I think I could become decent at piping & tolex, but cutting the wood I've never been good at. Box corners would be fine, but this could be an option too, I suppose.

Personally, what I'd like would be a "heritage" style 1974x combo cab, with identical or very similar routing of the edges, pre-cut kerfs for the piping, etc. And yes, instructions!

I'm currently monkeying around with cutting a logo into the baffle using a friend's water jet cutter -- complicated, but very cool if I can get the tolex to do what I want.

BTW, is it standard for the baffle to be 3/4" ply, with the rest of the cab being 1/2"?

Eric.
0 x

Snooty

Post by Snooty »

Woodcraft.com sells a dovetailed drawer kit that I use for head cab it is made with plantation grown cherry.
0 x

LightMeDark
Unrated

Post by LightMeDark »

Do you have any kind of instructions on how you did that. That's awesome.
0 x

Snooty

Post by Snooty »

LightMeDark, were you talking to me?

The Woodcraft drawer idea has been talked about at ampgarage.com as well as 18watt. It is a custom ordered drawer made out of Cherry 5/8 thick instead of 3/4. The cost is $47.60 so very cheap. To order you need to figure the size of your chassis. In my case it was a TW style chassis 17x8x2. To order for my chassis 9 3/4Hx8 7/8Dx18 3/8W equals 9.75Hx8.875Dx18.375W. The bottom has a 1/4 dado groove for the drawer bottom so you either order over sized to cut this off or fill it in with wood like I did (mahagony) or use guitar perfling.

Snooty
0 x

mnordbye

Post by mnordbye »

Sorry to bring up an old topic here, but does anyone know if there's any progress to Ripstichs ikea flat packed cabs?
0 x

doctornorbert
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by doctornorbert »

+1 on that.
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

I wondered the same myself. Where are you Doug?

A quick search on Google for Sound Daddy LLC, Daddy Ripstich, Ripstich Sound or any other combination I could think of returned zilch ..........

Having recently researched the DIY cab business myself, it is clear that (a) the margins are rather thin and (b) the flat-pack idea, while saving a little on shipping materials, saves very little on shipping costs.

I also concluded that flat-packing jointed cabinets was a non starter from the technical point. Assembling good, well fitting joints should only be done once: dismantling tends to sprain the tails (or fingers). But the routing (rounded edges) can only be achieved AFTER assembly (and is best done after glue has set) - and removes a significant part of the joint.

But I guess real joints are NOT Ikea style. "Ikea" style is "held together with miscellaneous plastic fittings and pre threaded holes - guaranteed to go wobbly 7 days after the guarantee runs out ...... "

Maybe Ripstich is still looking for a magic compromise.
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

michaelcauley

Ikea style flat packed

Post by michaelcauley »

Hey
Now that last post was words of wisdom,I agree wholeheartedly.
Thanx MJC :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
0 x

Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

WaZaK wrote:I wondered the same , saves very little on shipping costs.

National shipping is usually based on weight, so there is little advantage, but international shipping is based on package volume so you end up paying for the air space in the cabinet. A flat pack would offer a very big saving.

Regarding joints, I recently tried a test on a 12mm corner butt joint reinforced with a biscuit and glued with aliphatic resin. I couldn't get enough pressure to break it. This system also allows for the corner routing to be carried out before assembly as the biscuit keeps excellent alignment.

Just a thought....
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

How does that work? And what exactly is a "biscuit", for a non-woodworking expert guy? I always thought you eat biscuits. 8O :lol:
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

doctornorbert
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by doctornorbert »

FYI Lopo is offering cabinet kits: http://www.lopoline.com/cabinetkits.html
0 x

Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

zaphod_phil wrote:How does that work? And what exactly is a "biscuit", for a non-woodworking expert guy? I always thought you eat biscuits. 8O :lol:
You wouldn't want to eat these biscuits, they're made of beech wood. What you do is use a biscuit jointing machine. which looks like a modified angle grinder, this creates a slot similar to a thin segment of orange in shape in both the parts to be joined. The wooden biscuit is glued, pushed into the slots which keeps the assembly aligned. After a short while the moisture from the glue swells the biscuit sides in both parts to make a very firm joint.

It still needs clamping, but I usually fit a couple of "wire dovetails" (staples) so I can remove the clamp and do another cabinet

I'll be showing the procedure in my Dominator gallery shortly - I've made a start on the next cabinets and will soon be posting new photos.

Spongebob
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

A flat pack would offer a very big saving.
My research was with head boxes. To get a real cost I took two to Fed-Ex: an assembly and a flat pack, both packed. Although both were weighed and measured, it made little difference - and the non-ground service was a heart attack either way!

However, heads are small: a combo would be significantly smaller flat packed than assembled, and that may make a difference.

Regardless, it was shipping that effectively put the kibosh on my project (for the time being). I decided I needed to make unfinished assemblies REALLY cheap to make it viable. I see junk unfinished small heads on eBay for $127 + shipping. There is no way I'd pay that much! For only twice that I can get a finished masterpiece from Swanson!
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

I believe it all, while a nice idea, the flat-pack shipping helps with "oversized" packages... keeps the measurements down for say a 4x12 cab (or 4x10 cab) which will pretty much get slammed everytime with an "oversize package" surcharge. A head can possibly avoid that surcharge due to its smaller dimensions to start with.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

zaphod_phil wrote:How does that work? And what exactly is a "biscuit", for a non-woodworking expert guy? I always thought you eat biscuits. 8O :lol:
Zaphod_Phil

I've added the method of using biscuit joints to my photo log in the Dominator gallery - thought you might like to see. The next 3 cabs are progressing nicely, should be some more construction photo's soon.

spongebob
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

@ Spongebob
Still looking for Mickey Mouse. I thought I might see him peering through piles of sawdust ......
But wait: that is not my workshop. No dust! Is that a dust extractor I see in the background?
Some people are spoiled rotten! Lol.

(Tnx for the new pics, BTW.)
0 x

Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

WaZaK wrote:@ Spongebob
No dust! Is that a dust extractor I see in the background?
Some people are spoiled rotten! Lol.

(Tnx for the new pics, BTW.)
There's plenty of dust even with the extractor! I must admit I do keep buying all my new toys - can't help myself. Now I'm retired I get plenty of chance to play with them too.
0 x

Ripstich

Post by Ripstich »

I had a really bad car accident on some black-ice this last Dec. If and when I can get my neck fixed this will become a reality.
0 x
lets just start with a set of 809´s and work backwards

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

Sorry to hear about the accident. Several of us wondered where you had gone to!
Hope you have a speedy recovery.
0 x