Newbie with a Reinhardt 18

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

nitrox1
Unrated

Newbie with a Reinhardt 18

Post by nitrox1 »

Hello,
What a great site you guys have. I am not a builder at all, but I did just get a Reinhardt 18 combo and am loving the tone. It has a tmb instead of the tremelo channel.

I have some questions re. terminology I'm hoping you guys can set me straight on. On the preamp side of things, I assume V1 is the farthest to the right, away from the power tubes. V2 would be to the left of v1, v3 to the left of v2, and then the power tubes, and then the rectifier tube. This is of course looking at the back of the amp. I see refernces made to the PI. Does this stand for phase inverter, and is it V2 on my amp?

As for tubes, It came with JJ el84 power tubes, a tungsol 12ax7 on the far right, a JJ in the middle, and an electro harmonix on the left. The amp developed some really bad squeeling when the volume was turned up, so Bob had me swap the tungsol and the electro harmonix and it went away.

Would love to tinker with tube swapping, so any and all recommendations for pre amp/power amp tube choice are welcome. I love AC/DC and Joe Bonamassa tones. I sounds great as is, but I'm willing to buy some tubes and experiement.

Thanks for the help everyone, once I get the terminology down, searching threads will make mnore sence to me.

John... :D
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

Hi John (Nitrox),

Yes, PI does stand for Phase Inverter.

As far as the exact order of the tubes (or valves, as they call 'em in Europe) That will depend, but usually they do start with the first preamp tube where the guitar input signal enters (as V1) and ends with either the power tubes (6L6, 6CA7/EL34, <em><u>6BQ5/EL84</u></em>, 7591A, KT66,KT88,6550,7027, etc) or the rectifier tube (5U4,GZ34,EZ80,6CA4/EZ81,5Y4, etc) if so equipped. So as in the case of the 18Watt Marshalls (1974[x]) V1 is the first preamp, and V5 is the Rectifier on the opposite end (V6 for those equipped with tremelo,) IIRC.

The owners manual, or a chart mounted inside cabinet will always be the final dictator as to how that particular amp has organized its tube layout.

As I presume the tube compliment is all new production, as the JJs suggest, Some of the new tubes are sub-par when compared to NOS, and some are exellent copies.

As far as the sounds. well, there is the Plexi6V6 and 18wPlexi... I'd suggest since you don't have experience, find someone who does, and learn, for your own safety. HIGH VOLTAGE can kill. The 18watters here may come close enough for your tastes too. (Have someone build you one, and ask if you can watch over their shoulder as they do it.) Tube swapping is pretty safe, just remember to let hot tubes cool before changing them out or swapping them around.

Check the thread on books for some good safe reading that will help you understand tube amps better.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D