Is there somewhere the 36 watt ef86 schematics are posted?

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Standard2

Is there somewhere the 36 watt ef86 schematics are posted?

Post by Standard2 »

I have a Ceriatone amp I am trying to finish, and have run into some problems, is there anywhere I can go for the schematics? Isn't it a 'Richie' designed amp? Nik at Ceriatone could only provide the layout drawing,

The problem is absolutely no sound of any kind. and I want to track down exactly where the signal is getting lost. VERY hard to sdo with only the layout drawing to go by,.... Has anyone had a similar problem?
I waited forever for Shinrock trannies, and finally just got some from GDS

Have installed them according to the layout drawing from Ceriatone, and after checking my soldering of joints etc, powered the amp up, get tube glow looking very normal, everything looks good, just no sound, no hum no scratching static or any sound at all, did I miss something common?? or is it just not completed somehow?

Did some metering and all voltages seem normal, cycled thru switches, 1/2 power, feedback switch etc, no sound at all...

maybe a good thing in some ways, IE no smoke, sparks or anything strange. Just no sound.
any problems with GDS trannies?

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Is there somewhere the 36 watt ef86 schematics are poste

Post by zaphod_phil »

Standard2 wrote:I have a Ceriatone amp I am trying to finish, and have run into some problems, is there anywhere I can go for the schematics? Isn't it a 'Richie' designed amp?
No, this is a Ceriatone design. Richie's TMBs only use 12AX7s.
Standard2 wrote: any problems with GDS trannies?
I've only actually heard once ever of a faulty GDS transformer. Basically, they're extremely reliable. I think you just need to go through a few basic checks. If there's no sound at all, then it's almost certainly in the power amp or power supply, and those stages are pretty much the same as a regular TMB.
Last edited by zaphod_phil on Mon 03/09/09 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Standard2

Post by Standard2 »

Thanks for the answer,.... It looks like the power supply is fine, voltages check out, and tubes are lighting up as normal. Without a schematic, I'm afraid I will have to go to a repair shop if I can't track down the problem.

I thought it might be a problem with the center tap connection from the output tranny, but it checks,... anything I should look at that is a common problem, or that gets overlooked???

Thanks
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

Could be anything. Unfortunately the only way to get a schematic, unless someone posts something, is to trace it out from the layout drawing. Would be worth the time.
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

Yeah, or a real timesaver would be to take any close-but-not-quite schematic and layout combination and use a red pen to mark it up with the differences between that one and your amp. This isn't really necessary but if you can print it oversize (or make an enlarged copy) it's easier to work with. And I agree, it's definitely worth the time and it shouldn't take all that long. One full evening at most.

KennyO
0 x

BlueJeanes
Unrated

Post by BlueJeanes »

Can you post a picture or two? I had a problem once were I had run a wire to ground and caused a similar experience. I chased it for hours and had all about given up. I found the wire running to ground (after looking at it 100x) and I fixed it, turned on the amp, and WOW it was alive. That's what I call frustrating-fun. Keep at it! You'll figure it!
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

yes. its best to post pics.. that way many eyes can look over those pics for the problem. If you have no sound at all, no hiss or hum or anything.. no pops when checking voltages..start at the output first,looking. speaker jack connections etc.. i don't know of a schematic.. just the layout Nik has on his site.. you should be able to look at that and compare it to your amp. simple things like the ground wire not connected at the PI tail can have the amp not have any sound.. but it would also throw off the voltages.. thats another good thing to post.. the voltages can tell a story of something not right..
0 x

Chubsman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Chubsman »

Odds are it will be the input jacks wiring... Or you forgot to ground the speaker jacks. 2 of the most common snafu's
0 x