36 watt transformer options?

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

mark0614
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

36 watt transformer options?

Post by mark0614 »

I wonder what the current transformer options are. Due to problems with supply I wouldn't consider Shinrock.

Thanks.
0 x
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Moose{ toneslut} sells the overseas voltage transformers for the liverpool and rocket. Those would be idea for a 36 watter.. pretty sure he ships overseas.. Heyboer also sells a standup type set for an AC30 which would also work. But i'd use moose's trannys if i had to pic..
also might want to use the choke over the resistor.. you'll have voltage on the plate and screens very close.. and they will be around 310 or so..
makes it much easier to find EL84s to use at those voltages. And they will last a bit longer too.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Heyboer also sells a 36W transformer set. I've used the Heyboer 36W OT from that myself on one occasion. I know GDS sells them, and no doubt the other Heyboer resellers, such as Brownnote, Trinity and Mojo, etc, do. The 230V PT might be a little harder to get though.
mark0614 wrote:I wouldn't consider Shinrock.
The Shinrock company was closed down anyway, following the sad illness and demise of Ingo's daughter. So that would never have been an option in the first place. AFAIK Ingo's main interest at the moment is building a transformer museum.
Last edited by zaphod_phil on Thu 03/26/09 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

I second the GDS set, which I'm sure they could get in 230V, but it might take a while.

But what about Ceriatone? They're in the same neighborhood. Don't they have 36 watt transformers.
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

I am at the prototype/sample stage with an 8K/4K PP OT >50W and a matching mains, but the mains will be 350V HV @ 150mA primarily for JTM's etc. But it will be 230/240V mains.

Steve UK
www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

Ceriatone is close to Oz and I've had no issues with the transformers and valves I got from Nik for my 18W. They've given me good service for 15 months now.
0 x

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Brewmaster »

Mojo has a TW OT that sounds good, I have one in my 36. Ceriatone uses their own TW clone. The couple of 36w Ceriatone I came across sounded pretty good. I think Promethius is their transformer supplier.
0 x

mark0614
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mark0614 »

Thanks for the replies.

It is a shame about Ingo. His transformer got a good rap, he should have put his transformers on eBay. That way he could have worked at his own pace.

I was wondering why Plexi liked the Toneslut transformers over the 36 watt Heybour set?

Still, it is an honest opinion and that's cool.

I've got plenty to think about. :) :) :)
0 x
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

I have 36W transformer sets in stock currently. The 36W trannys have the same footprint as the 18W trannys so they fit in an 18W chassis. Also, my 36W PT has taps for 240v operation as well as 120V operation. The only transformer or amp that I sell that does not currently have 240V taps is the Guytron GT20. Every other amp or transformer set in the GDS family has at least 120v and 240v taps.

My 36W OT is based heavily on the design of the standard 18W OT but with 4k instead of 8k and slightly higher current capacity to handle the extra wattage. It sounds very nice. The 36W is one of my favorite amps.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

radstringz

Post by radstringz »

Graydon says
The 36W trannys have the same footprint as the 18W trannys so they fit in an 18W chassis.
I've been wondering about that for some time now. Can the PT's handle EL34 or KT66 pairs as well as EL84 quads?

-jr
0 x