Finally got it right

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

Or mine terminology is wrong, I don't know how to describe it...maybe i should try with more harmonics and airy middle/high spectra instead of firm midd/spikey highs :?
But Zaphod can be at good point ..nor every G12H sounds indentical.
0 x

Ingo
Transformer Guru

Post by Ingo »

leslie wrote:Hi Ingo :D
I listened to clip (I know skaboosh, very fine player ) and your transformers are awesome!
(I know what I'm talking about cause I listened to your 18w SOT (aprox. dimension 70x64x20mm) very closely in vivo.)

G12H is fine speaker but to my ears have to firm middle and highs are little spikey for my taste(maybe I'm more used to older greenbacks).
It's just...maybe I'm not into hard rock sound as I getting older (retired or retarded LoL) or I just like round notes :?

Anyway it's just hapened that I have same song recorded with this Goodmans and strat (single coils) to see what I mean/like.
http://www.box.net/shared/bu2ikv6mdc
Hi

I know what you mean, but a Marshall should sound as a Marshall. For playing alone, aour loudspeakers would be very fine but playing in a band would be a problem, They would be too nice and therefore too week.

Kind regards
Ingo
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

Ingo wrote:
Hi

I know what you mean, but a Marshall should sound as a Marshall. For playing alone, aour loudspeakers would be very fine but playing in a band would be a problem, They would be too nice and therefore too week.

Kind regards
Ingo
Yes that can be a problem, I agree.
But this speaker doesn't shows any of problems...I don't know if you have been listening last few soundclips...
Again, here it is live with the band on the large stage :arrow: http://www.box.net/shared/akf3ny1tne
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

I've finally got to check out some of these clips (can't download at work so had to check at home). Fantastic sounds! Especially interesting the E riff comparison and accompanying spectrum analysis. I've used a pink noise wave file and spectrum analysis add-in for Cubase to map the few speakers I have. It's interesting to relate the differences in curves to what you hear when they are played through.
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

katopan wrote:I've finally got to check out some of these clips (can't download at work so had to check at home). Fantastic sounds! Especially interesting the E riff comparison and accompanying spectrum analysis. I've used a pink noise wave file and spectrum analysis add-in for Cubase to map the few speakers I have. It's interesting to relate the differences in curves to what you hear when they are played through.
Thanks Katopan!
Now you tell me about spectrum analyzer in cubase, ahhh!
After Audacity listed numeric frequencies at dB, I've been ploting by hand :lol:
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

I'll double check at home tonight and let you know. Can't remember the name of it.
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

I use the Voxengo Span Spectrum Analyser plugin for Cubase. Do a search - it's free! They have some other good plugin tools too. I use a pink noise wave file I downloaded ages ago. Return from a standard vocal mic and into Cubase. Have to be mindful of the mic bass roll-off, but it shows the more 'interesting' freq areas quite well. Also interesting to see the change with mic placement, to give you ideas for recording.

Screenshots show some examples of the results. MSPs and Ragin Cajun are the two I use with my 18W. Oxford was a friend's amp I had on my test bench a while ago.
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

Thanks Katopan for your tips, time and patience!
This oxford looks a little limited... :)
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

leslie wrote:This oxford looks a little limited... :)
I wouldn't say that! You'll get a very different spectrum from a test wave compared to a recorded waveform. Compare your response for the G12H to the published data and you'll see what I mean. Guitar is very low freq heavy - that's why we need speakers with a higher top end rather than flat.
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

I agree with your last sentence, so I'm looking again at 1-5kHz(and beyond) at your 3 diagrams.
Those multipliers can tell us alot about speakers top spectra.
Of course real time spectrum analyze with guitar pluged in reveals behavior of harmonics.
In Real time freq. analy. Goodmans showed complex harmonics at all frequency band, as ear justified long time earlier,
for me that was most interesting part.
Because I had prejudice that computers are harmonics deaf! :)
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

Small video, it's my first 'colague' and it's a mess....
But thanks for watching!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JQM2mOXXvQ
0 x