Mystery PT - Usable for 36W?

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Shottky
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Mystery PT - Usable for 36W?

Post by Shottky »

I picked up another organ amplifier the other day.
I plugged the unloaded 5V heater voltage from one of my working PTs into the primary and then measured the output of the mystery PT.

Results:
5.53VAC in

Secondary = 44.7VAC out
5Vout = 0.245V

This seems to suggest that I would get 960VAC at 120VAC from the wall, with a 5V heater value of 5.316V

The 5V heater line is for the rectifier, a 5V4GA (2Amp)

The 6.3V line is heating
2x 7189, (2x0.76A @ 6.3V)
2x 7687, (2x0.5A @ 6.3V)
12AX7, (0.3A @ 12.6)
12B4, (0.3A @ 12.6)
OA2 (0.03A @ 6.3 - doesn't this one light up?)

Which totals out in current to roughly 3.5A. I admit I don't know if I should count the current for the 12AX7 and the 12B4 for double the value.
Either way, I'm just curious if the Secondary voltage is high enough (or too high), and if the current rating for the Secondary is high enough. What's a normal need - 175-200mA?

I admit that I'm intrigued by the current circuit in itself. It's in excellent condition. All I would need to do is set up a grounded output to replace the severed outlet. Hmmmmm...

EDIT: Added mystery 5V line value.
I also just realized that this is the second active Mystery PT thread...
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

All of your tubes are operating as 6.3V tubes. The 12??? tubes are 6.3V @ 0.3A. Th 0A2 is a diode; there is no heater. So, you are loading the 6.3V supply with 2.53A. You've got a proper 5V winding, as well. Your HT output 900+ v is too high for the sort of tube amps we build here. I wouldn't assume because the HT winding is for mucho volts that it also has lots of mA to go with it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother testing this one for mA rating because the HT voltage makes it a non-starter. If it is center tapped, you might consider using half of it with a full wave bridge. If you want to do that (not recommended), I'll post info on how to determine the mA rating. Start by posting the ohms on that winding, end to end and each end to CT.
0 x

CAlbertson
Unrated

Re: Mystery PT - Usable for 36W?

Post by CAlbertson »

I must have the same PT. I just tested mine yesterday. I use a 1000ma 16VAC "wall wort" power cuber for testing. I place it on the primary. Then after it checks out I connect the primary to 120VAC mains and let it run for an hour.

These old Hammond organ PTs are well built. The one I have powered three push pull amps each running tubes much like the 18watt. The organ was "tri amped" with one OPT and set of tubes running each speaker set. Two treb. drivers, each with their own amp and then a pair of paralleled 15" drivers on a third bass channel. These was also a reverb channel. If you add it all up there were six 6bq5 type power tubes and 9 or 10 preamp tubes and then two rectifier tubes in parallel.

The one PT drove all of the above. It is clearly overkill for an 18watt guitar amp. The thing puts out 980V (center tapped) and weight in at 15 pounds. I figure it is nearly a 1KVA class PT.

I figure I'll build a small bass amp with the PT. I'll run a set of four 6L6 tubes. Yes 120W is small for a bass amp. Most bass players are running at least 400W
0 x