Speaker "Breakup"

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

spodsie
Unrated

Speaker "Breakup"

Post by spodsie »

I'm building a cab using two mid 70's Celestion G12H speakers which are rated at 30W each, wired in parallel.
I'll be using the cab with an 18W head from an Ampmaker, England kit, a 5W head and also a late 60's Selmer 50W head. (Not all at once!)
I was wondering if the smaller amps would be happier driving just one of the speakers, giving earlier breakup etc. It would be simple enough to put in a switch cutting out one speaker ( and changing to 16ohms)
Anybody any thoughts?
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

That's one way to go. Alternately, newer Marshall 2-12" cabs have a two jack wiring that gives you either the two in parallel or single speakers. Not complicated, but you have to use Cliff style jacks...I prefer Switchcraft myself.

I believe there's a photo in my Gallery area.
0 x

spodsie
Unrated

Post by spodsie »

Is that the 1936 panel? I see what you mean, it looks like a simpler solution, thanks,
George.
0 x

shardin

Post by shardin »

Here's how I did mine. I didn't look at the gallery, expect it's the same
0 x

manic

Post by manic »

shardin wrote:Here's how I did mine. I didn't look at the gallery, expect it's the same
Its not the same. Its looks to me like Your creating an open circuit with Your switch, unless Im misreading Your switch drawing ?

FWIW C. Smith
0 x

shardin

Post by shardin »

manic wrote:
shardin wrote:Here's how I did mine. I didn't look at the gallery, expect it's the same
Its not the same. Its looks to me like Your creating an open circuit with Your switch, unless Im misreading Your switch drawing ?

FWIW C. Smith
Nope, plugging into the 8 ohm jack just disconnects the other speaker making it a 1 x 12 8 ohm cab. Plugging into the 16 ohm jack makes it a 2 x 12 16 ohm cab. Works fine. You just have to make sure you hook up the 8 ohm side up to the unswitched side (when the 1/4 plug is in) and that discons the other speaker, Make sure the plus and minus series correctly for the 16 ohm side. May not have been clear in the schmo. that there are 2 1/4" jacks.
0 x

manic

Post by manic »

manic wrote: Your switch, unless Im misreading Your switch drawing ?
FWIW C. Smith
I misread the drawing. The input on the left looked like a DPST switch for a second. :oops:

My bad.
0 x