celestions in australia, most desireable combination? help

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

celestions in australia, most desireable combination? help

Post by njkmonty »

i live in aus and as far as i know celestions are the common speaker around.
Ive spent hours sourceing parts for a tmb build and umming and arring and almost over anylysed evry part.
I was wondering for this build, as ive spared no expense, what is the ultimate celstion config for a 2 x 12?

green thingy?

vintage

heritage woopsy?

blue whatsymacallits!!

gsh
gshm30 etc etc

15 watt, 30 watts 60 watts

help!!!!!!

I have a fender twin and wanting to use a 2 amp setup

the music i like to play ranges from acdc, zepellin, stones, metallica, hendrix, to give idea what im looking for

thankyou,
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: celestions in australia, most desireable combination? he

Post by zaphod_phil »

njkmonty wrote:what is the ultimate celestion config for a 2 x 12?
For the ultimate combination, probably a G12H-30 paired with an Alnico Blue. That gives you dark and bright together, as well as ceramic plus alnico dynamics. Very balanced. Alternatively, if that hurts your wallet too severely, you can pair a G12H-30 with a Vintage 30. That is also a very balanced combination tone-wise, although you obviously won't get any alnico smooth compression coming through.
njkmonty wrote:I have a fender twin
Well, nobody's perfect. :lol:
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by njkmonty »

Celestion Blue
General specifications
Nominal diameter 12", 305mm
Power Rating 15W
Nominal impedance 8Ω and 15Ω
Sensitivity 100dB
Chassis type Pressed steel
Voice coil diameter 1.75", 44.5mm
Voice coil material Round copper
Magnet type Alnico
Frequency range 75-5000Hz
Resonance frequency, Fs 75Hz
DC resistance, Re 6.4Ω & 11.8Ω

it says 15 watt on specs does this sound right? would that be ok to use or not enough? and if so is it ok to use 1x 30w and 1x 15 w?

on their website there seems to be different g12h's?
Heritage Series G12H
G12H

which one?

one other Q,..... ive read about peole using different speakers, is this more for blues style etc, or be good for the style /sound i seek?
i
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

There have been threads about the power handling of Alnico Blues, and the upshot is they can handle fair bit more than 15W. You can even run a single one on its own with an 18W and many folks have successfully done so with 1X12 18W combo amps. However, if you're more into heavy rock and metal you may prefer the punch of V30s over the compression of Alnico Blues. Blues do have some amazing definition though.

The Heritage G12H-30s have 55Hz bass cones, while the Classic or Anniversary G12H-30s have 75Hz lead cones, like Greenbacks. I've only used the latter kind and can vouch for them. I suspect the 55Hz kind might be boomy in some cabs. Hendrix used the 55Hz ones in his 4X12s, maybe to help fatten up the tone of his Strats..
0 x

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by njkmonty »

hi ZP ive been looking through quite a few threads of yours, earlier this year, where you have commented that you where not a huge fan of the alnico blues celestion, im trying to find them . you said in your post that you liked the g12h30.
all i want to verify before buying a blue is....

for acdc, led zep, stones should i (not worried about price)

1) g12h30 + blue

or

2) g12h30 + v30

i think i have it min my head that a celestion blue is only for light blues.

anyone?
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

njkmonty wrote:
for acdc, led zep, stones should i (not worried about price)

1) g12h30 + blue
Perfect!
0 x

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by njkmonty »

found your ncommenst before zp!!
Personally, I'm not too keen on the brightness of a Celestion Blue (or even Marshall's silver version like in my latest avatar), in combination with the natural brightness of EL84s in an 18W or a Vox amp. However, when pushed, the speaker compresses in a way which softens the tone but with a definition and tone to die for. So IMO if you crank the amp a lot, then a Celestion Blue is the holy grail. For both loud and soft playing however, I much prefer the darker/warmer tones of a G12H-30.

what about acdc blue and g12h30?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I think you're quoting me slightly out of context. I don't like current production Alnico Blues with 18W amps, when used on their own in a 1X12. In combination with a G12H-30 it's a completely different story, as you get a strong, well-balanced sound, with plenty of crisp definition from the Blue. And that crispness is just what you want for AC/DC sounds. Personally, I would call that a magic combination.

I recently came across an article that possibly helps explain why I like vintage Celestion Alnicos so much more than the current production ones - http://digital.premierguitar.com/premie ... c_id=38311

BTW You may be surprised that I really don't much like AC/DC. I think their songs sound too much the same, and they generally leave me pretty bored. But I really love AC/DC's guitar/amp tones. Those guys really know what tone is! :D
0 x

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by njkmonty »

i guess because everyone knows acdc its a good reference point.

the other thing realy is ... that buying most of these speakers for me in aus is doing it without hearing them and a blue which sells here for $799 aus , you want to get it right first time!!!

i just got an email from gabi ,, he was saying that he prefers a greenback and a blue. any major diferences with this combination compared to your favoured?

:?:
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Some folks like the Greenback/Blue combination. However, Greenbacks tend to have looser/woofier bass than G12H-30s, and they're also not as loud. So the Blue will tend to dominate the tone more. As an alternative to the Blue you can also use a Vintage 30 with a G12H-30. That's another very popular combination.
0 x

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by njkmonty »

im sold

what i like about your imput zp is that you can also back it up!!!!

thanks.

$223 for a blue is pretty cheap? from gabi.
0 x