Stupid Question

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

adamshame

Stupid Question

Post by adamshame »

Does anyone know where to get the "covers" for unused holes for tube sockets?

Kinda like these things:

I have looked all over, and can't find them.

Thanks!
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

I think nowhere...
Metal cutting shears and piece of metal sheet could help.
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

They were probably laser cut or stamped specific for that job.

You could try finding rubber/plastic plugs/grommets to do a cover up job, otherwise get some aluminium scrap and shape by hand.

Mike
0 x

marlinster

Post by marlinster »

0 x

marlinster

Post by marlinster »

They have some other similar stuff to, really nice. http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/index. ... ories.html

I can recommend them highly, I order from them all the time, fast shipping to Sweden at least.
0 x

icd

Post by icd »

Also +1 for Tube Town - excellent, price competitive supplier.
0 x

sub
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by sub »

0 x

adamshame

Post by adamshame »

Thanks for the suggestions!

The metroamp ones look like they may work. I did find that "he who cannot be named" sells them for both octals and novals, but they are kinda expensive at $5 a piece!

I am kinda surprised they are so hard to find. That pic above is from my '65 Bandmaster (a garage sale find for $100!!!) and I thought that those covers would be pretty common since you can buy pretty much anything else for Fender amps.
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

just make em, if you have a few basic tools:
trace out a round circle using a compass or pill bottle or shot glass or something a bit bigger than the socket, on to any thin flat piece of metal or plastic(bottom of a coffee can?old guitar pick guard?). measure distance between the the screw holes on the socket(be exact!). using a ruler and an awl or nail, and crossing the very center of your main circle, tap in two dents in the metal where you want the holes. drill them out. take some snips and rough out the shape, complete with "ears" where the screw mounts will be. clean up your metalwork using any type of drum sanding wheel or dremel tool, or if you have time, a dowl(s) wrapped in sandpaper. mount it with stubby sheet metal screws, or round head screws with a nut on the other side
voila, an hour of your life gone
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

adamshame wrote: I did find that "he who cannot be named" sells them for both octals and novals, but they are kinda expensive at $5 a piece!...
FYI "He who cannot be named" can now be named. After his sad and untimely passing away, it seems that the risk of possible legal actions against 18watt.com has great diminished. We still don't support any Weber products here - Weber's own forums look after that. But we can indeed talk about them.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Colin_D
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Colin_D »

If you're in the USA, some ACE Hardware stores sell something that I've used for such a purpose. Thay don't all stock them, but it's worth a quick trip if you have a store near you.
0 x