Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Tolex help

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Hi guys

I have bought some bronco tolex for a job and have a few questions,

In the past I haven’t bothered to prime the wood surface with a sealer before gluing on the tolex.. Should I? is there any advantage?

The tolex has been folded, and now has lumpy creases, what’s the best way to get these out, one person has suggested laying it flat out in the sun to soften and relax, any other suggestions? we dont get much sun in Scotland :lol:

And finally, I bought some regency blue (lightning blue) bronco tolex, but the colour of the blue is not what I my customer wants so anybody in the UK interested let me know and I will let it go at a good price.

Its the same colour as used on this amp
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 593109.jpg

Cheers
Mike
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Mike , we used a warm household iron to iron the Tolex from the back(fabric side) to carefully remove the wrinkles/folds... The goods should be rolled , not folded... next time insist on it being rolled for shipping ...less problems ...
 We don't prime our wood , just glue ... been working for over 40 years ...

That Blue is rather , BRIGHT !!!! 8O
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Thanks SG, I will need to try the iron out.

Bright it is, some of the fender and soldano pics using the same material have obviously been photo shopped to make it look darker. Any If I can’t sell it I will keep it for a rainy day project.

I have used a different vinyl instead and got good results, with a colour much closer to what I was after, probably still to bright for most though :twisted:

Mike
0 x

Reason
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reason »

yea, no sealer. Light heat will help ease the creases, though gluing it to a cab will get them out too.

Good luck with your project!
0 x
Anthony Bonadio
Reason Amplifier Company
www.reasonamps.com
Stage Craft Cabinets
www.stagecraftgear.com

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

The crease should disappear when you glue. Use a roller and start rolling right over the crease to work out any wrinkles. Using a heat gun (low temp and not to close to the tolex) after you lay it on the wood too warm it up will help as well.

No sealer and dont sand the wood smooth. Tolex glue likes a rougher surface for extra bonding strenght.
0 x