Clean sounding PP??

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Clean sounding PP??

Post by 1950 »

I built a few great sounding tubers, 1 PP + a few SE's, but I wanna do a clean soundin PP, for voice or acoustic guitar, any basic Ideas please.
Not much difference in Db's between 18 /30 watts? 18 will do nicely thanks :) .
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Bearing in mind that the remit of this site is purely for guitar amps based on the Marshall 18W topology, the range of answers here is going to be somewhat limited. However, Graydon has reported successfully using a pair of modified 18W Lite amps for hifi. IIRC he simply used the GDS Vintage style OTs, and hooked the screen grids up to the OTs' UL tappings, to run the amps in ultralinear mode. That, plus a lower gain valve in the V1 position, such as a 5751, should do the job. You may also like to compare the 18W Lite circuit with its ancestor the Mullard 5-10 - http://vintageradio.me.uk/amplifier/mullard510.htm But if you want to look to a wider field for useful suggestions, PPwatt.com is going to be a better place.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Looks good.

Post by 1950 »

That looks good thanks, I like the whole idea. Will look a little more before jumping though.
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

zaphod_phil wrote:18W Lite circuit - its ancestor the Mullard 5-10
Fascinating article! Some of the text is a bit iffy (to be expected from a 55 year old magazine!) - but well worth taking the time to read. Thaks ZP.
(How DO you manage to store/recover all your references? Amazing!)
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Printed.....

Post by 1950 »

Printed the pages ZP, thanks, will brows it while on holiday for a couple of weeks.
Yes, thats me sat at the end of the bar in Prague, reading PC print outs :roll: .
0 x