Budget Speaker Recommendations?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

GUITARmole
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Budget Speaker Recommendations?

Post by GUITARmole »

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a good budget speaker? Are the Sica speakers from AAS any good? I've found lots of talk about them but no firsthand reviews.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

Not as cheap as they once were, but get decent reviews; no first hand experience: http://warehousespeakers.com/

Sometimes there are bargains in the scratch and dent section here, often reduced in price after use in testing: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
0 x

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

I would also recommend the Warehouse Speakers. I've got a quad of the greenback clones and they're good speakers. The only difference I notice between them and the Celestion Greenbacks is that they aren't quite as flubby on the bottom end. I bought them for $45.00 a piece. The price has been escalating ever since. Last I checked they were $69.

I also have the Eminence Private Jacks which are supposed to be greenback clones. They are also good speakers, but to my ear, they don't sound like greenbacks. Sort of sound like a cross between a greenback and a G12h30.

Ken
0 x

labb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by labb »

Hard to beat Warehouse quitar speakers for the price..JMO
0 x

GUITARmole
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by GUITARmole »

Thanks guys! :D
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

I bought an Uncle Teddy (RIP) Sig. Alnico 12S (ribbed cone) for 45USD, and it sounds great !!! A little bright at first , but once broken in it got real smooth ... Only 25 watt speaker , maybe pushing the edge for an 18 watt ... ??? I use it all the time now to gig with in my Perfect stage cab (wattkins).. no worries ... :D
0 x

Camurai

Post by Camurai »

Jensen Mods are a great speaker on a budget, and with their British-flavored tone they're a good match for an 18-watter.
0 x

echuta13
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by echuta13 »

StarGeezers wrote: Sig. Alnico 12S (ribbed cone) for 45USD, and it sounds great !!! A little bright at first , but once broken in it got real smooth ... Only 25 watt speaker , maybe pushing the edge for an 18 watt ... ??? I use it all the time now to gig with in my Perfect stage cab (wattkins).. no worries ... :D
Along those lines I'd probably suggest a Sig12b @ $50. Has a 50watt rating & (b)ritish cone/cap.

The problem with your question is you asked for cheap, but not what kinda sound you were going for... :?
0 x

GUITARmole
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by GUITARmole »

The speaker is for a friend's amp (18W LiteIIb) that I just built. Ultimately it would be like a Greenback (in distortion quality and breakup) but with a little more low end response. Any economical Greenback clone would be OK.
0 x

SoCalSteve
Unrated

Post by SoCalSteve »

GUITARmole wrote:The speaker is for a friend's amp (18W LiteIIb) that I just built. Ultimately it would be like a Greenback (in distortion quality and breakup) but with a little more low end response. Any economical Greenback clone would be OK.
The Mojotone BV-25M is just this! The speaker was recommended to me by amp builder Randall Aiken for a better Greenback with a tighter low-end.

I've owned a fair share of speakers and the Mojotone BV-25M and BV-30H (using currently) are up there at the top.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

SoCalSteve wrote:
GUITARmole wrote:The speaker is for a friend's amp (18W LiteIIb) that I just built. Ultimately it would be like a Greenback (in distortion quality and breakup) but with a little more low end response. Any economical Greenback clone would be OK.
The Mojotone BV-25M is just this! The speaker was recommended to me by amp builder Randall Aiken for a better Greenback with a tighter low-end.

I've owned a fair share of speakers and the Mojotone BV-25M and BV-30H (using currently) are up there at the top.
+1 on the British Mojo speakers. Swart Amps uses them in most of their amps as well.
0 x

BDC
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BDC »

Those mojo speakers look to me like re-labeled celestions....Like Hellatone 30s etc.......Is there any difference between the Voice coils, paper and frames......? I doubt it --maybe doped and broke in......
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

BDC wrote:Those mojo speakers look to me like re-labeled celestions....Like Hellatone 30s etc.......Is there any difference between the Voice coils, paper and frames......? I doubt it --maybe doped and broke in......
They are definitely not relabels. They are made by an American speaker manufacturer (there are a lot of them out there for OEM/hifi besides the ones who are known for guitar speakers). Not sure who, but Mojo says it's not Eminence. The cones are Mueller (sp?), I assume. Not sure about the rest of the parts but the specs are basically the same.
0 x