Mesa Boogie corner protectors?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Soulie
Unrated

Mesa Boogie corner protectors?

Post by Soulie »

These are great little leather patches that appear to be nailed on (glued too, probably).

Does anyone know where I can get some? Or can anyone post a pattern for cutting my own, please?

Cheers .
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

18Watt.com was created and exists for the specific purpose of discussing the Marshall 18W amplifier (Quote)
Need I say more.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

Guess the big Q here is: Is he going to apply this to his <gasp! 8O the heresy!!!> 18 Watt cab? Wouldn't be a purist's cab, but *could* be an option for those who don't mind the non-traditional cab deviation. :twisted:
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

Shrapnel wrote:non-traditional cab deviation
What, you mean like applying tweed to an 18 watter? Whoops, I didn't say that! Lololol.
(I guess leather patches look cool with tweed .......)
The 18 watt preamble does say one can discuss "all kinds of variations", so I guess even leather patches and tweed is allowed - but maybe not p64 of the Kama Sutra (and Mesa Boogie's, etc.)
0 x

Soulie
Unrated

Post by Soulie »

Sorry, I'll go ask in a Mesa Boogie forum somewhere. Just enlighten me, which style of corner protectors are acceptable for dicussion here in the cabinets & speakers forum?
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

Soulie wrote:which style of corner protectors are acceptable for dicussion here?
18 watt ones. Lololol.
That of course is a somewhat open ended concept: as to my knowledge, every conceivable type of cabinet and material has been used on the 18 watt.
While traditionally they are Marshallesque, that has not stopped builders being creative, using hardwood, softwood, expanded steel, etc, etc.
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

Soulie,

As long as it has an 18 Watt slant, it can be discussed... NOW those corners you are talking about are initially Mesa stuff, not 18 Watt, BUT.... talk about them in the light of adding them to your 18 Watt cab :sneaky: :wink: and you can discuss them to your hearts content. Especially since a cab is a cab is a cab is a cab is a cab, and it's what's inside (as long as the cab is a good one) that can be sticky when it comes to topics.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

Soulie
Unrated

Post by Soulie »

Thanks guys. Getting back on topic.... Do you know these corners?

I'm surprised there is so little said about them. There is all sorts of angst over tweed, tolex, castors, faceplates and handles - but not much is known about these very cool corner protectors.

They seem to be moulded to the shape of the three planes of the corner (and the shape of the roundover) without any tucks or puckering. They appear to be leather but might be synthetic. They are applied with three tacks or nails and I reckon they are the duck's guts.

I would love to hear if anyone has a source for them or if anyone has tried to make their own. Of course, I want to apply them to a cabinet housing an 18 watt amp.

Cheers
0 x

cGil
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by cGil »

Messy booger corners are leather. I suppose you could hunt down a shoe repair shop and beg some scraps if you totally gotta do it from scratch. Effective recycling is an honored practice around here. 8) But if you're lazy like me, you can get various sizes and types of metal and plastic 2 and 3 corner guards at AES/TubesAndMore under the "Cabinets Items/Handles" section. http://tubesandmore.com/ Plenty of other sources are available, too.

However, if you're hard pressed to have genuine messy booger protectors, check with THE source. They have been known to sell replacement items for their amps, as well as some sweet custom cabs. http://www.mesaboogie.com/

Gil...
0 x

Soulie
Unrated

Post by Soulie »

Problem solved! They have them here:

http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech9.html

Cool!
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

Soulie wrote:They have them here
Ah, no picture!
Still, no doubt they will look nice on your 18 watter <Grin>
0 x

michaelcauley

Post by michaelcauley »

Hey,
I used those leather cornerson my cabs,Make sure you soak them in hot water before trying to nail them on.Take your time ,use the screw like tacks about an inch long,stretch them as tight as you can.and just look at them closly before you apply them there is a one way placement.They will look great,GOOD LUCK :D
0 x

Soulie
Unrated

Post by Soulie »

Hey Michael, tell me more.. You have to soak them and stretch them onto the corner? Are they flat to start with? Did you use glue? Where did you get yours? Any pictures? Pictures would really help!
0 x

michaelcauley

Post by michaelcauley »

Hey,
I bought them from mesa,They came with the speacial nail tacks.I have some mesa amps and I got a phone lesson,First they, are a triangle with one side a bit longer.The longer side goes from top of the cab to the side of the cab,the 3rd point of the triangle gets nailed to the front of the cab.You soak them in hot water so they will soften and stretch,Then just put one nail in at a time,pulling as tight as you can.They dont use glue,When they dry they
shrink tight and look great.You can also get handles to match.When you do your own tolex your corners may take some time to get good at so these things may cover some of your imperfect wrk.Ill try to post a picture or PM you with one Im building a brownote foxy 18 and making a matching 2x12 cab in a light brown tolex so i bought some tan corners and handle.OK
Have a great day Mike Cauley :D PS Yes they are flat.
0 x

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by conger »

0 x

Eric
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Eric »

I wonder if you can give the measurement of these corners? They come as a flat piece, triangle shaped with rounded corners?

Thank you
0 x

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

I think Vibroworld is out of business.

Ken
0 x

Soulie
Unrated

Post by Soulie »

Really can anyone confirm Vibroworld is out of business?

And.. how about measurements or a pattern / template for these corners.

Cheers ...
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

How about going down to your local saddle maker for some scraps of leather and just try some different cut out shapes. Or if you have a stretchy vinyl you could do the same thing and get your patterns sorted out easily.

Of course I am assuming the US is full of saddle makers for all those horses you have to ride .. ? :lol: :lol:
0 x

Soulie
Unrated

Post by Soulie »

This is a good suggestion. Where I live there are several saddleries within cooee - (i.e. close by) and horses are part of the landscape. Perhaps this amp would like some cowboy ballads?

My preferred source for leather is old jackets and bags at the op-shop. Meanwhile, I wait patiently for some dimensions and more advice about making these corner patches.
0 x