1x12 speaker cabinet

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Not.....

Post by zaphod_phil »

1950 wrote:I worked on PA speakers for many years and found the high,s horn pushes the speaker away from the middle if the box, which cleans up "boomy" sound so much. Further extremes of off centre tests (guitar speaker box) made up "my mind" for sure.
Yes, I agree. Off centre is good. It also helps not to have square boxes. The length, width and height should ideally have a golden ratio relationship.
1950 wrote: Box size seems uninportant (within reason)
Larger boxes do give more bass - at least with sealed cabs.
1950 wrote:Not ported for guitar.
True. Ported cabs and guitar don't usually mix well. However, the AX84 1X12 cab has been mathematically designed as a ported cab specifically for guitar use. And it really works as many DIY builders will testify. But that's an exception to the general rule IMO.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Hey Zaph..

Post by 1950 »

My few years of making PA speakers & the like, were mostly designed from an Eminence tech CD, punched in all the speaker perameters, etc, which I had a few doubts about.
Guitarists like to hear their own sound-a closed or ported single 12 speaker box will project forward, leaving guitarist guessing. I used most of the boxes working for a few bands at mixing desks. I gotta admit, different venue/audience size/ambient temperature, will change yer mind about most any PA, or combo, etc.
All in the air, but only my oppinion for sure Guys.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Hey Zaph..

Post by zaphod_phil »

1950 wrote:Guitarists like to hear their own sound-a closed or ported single 12 speaker box will project forward, leaving guitarist guessing.
Hmmm, I set my amp so the speaker points at me, rather than away from me. Don't you...?? Then I have a mic going to the PA desk for everyone else's benefit.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Weaklings ??? WTF??? We're just OLD. :lol:
ZP's the one with the right idea... Mike that cab ... 8)
0 x

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

WTF-?-?-?

Post by 1950 »

OK you guys :? , I'm beat :oops: , but not a weakling :) .
Most my gigs now don't involve mixers, maybe I'm forgettin theres a whole world out there, but a semi open back guitar cab lets other band members know what your doin without having to wait for the monitors to tell them half way through the next barre :roll: .
S'pose I'd best write about the weather in future-speakers ???
I do prefer the sound of a single speaker, multi's seem to mush more.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: WTF-?-?-?

Post by zaphod_phil »

For the record I usually gig a 1X12 combo (with a vintage Greenback inside), which naturally has a semi-open back. It's portable and it sounds good to me, so that's what I go with. I'm not sophisticated. :)
1950 wrote:Most my gigs now don't involve mixers
8O
1950 wrote:I do prefer the sound of a single speaker, multi's seem to mush more.
Interesting you should say that. I know a guy who has a fairly big recording studio, and he insists all his speaker cabs should only have one kind of speaker inside. He says that mixing more than one kind of speaker inside a cab makes the tone blurry, at least for the purposes of recording.
1950 wrote:S'pose I'd best write about the weather in future-speakers ???
Interesting you should say that. Humidity is said to have an effect on how a speaker sounds. So weather does matter. :)
StarGeezers wrote: Mike that cab ... 8)
Mike? Who's he? What does he want with that cab? :lol:
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Yeah you know Mike the Mic. not to be confused with Mike the cab , or Mike That cab (derogatory), Mic the Mike or Mac the knife ... "when that shark bites'... :lol: :roll:

We consider our little old guys stage cab a "de-tuned " cab... not ported in the traditional sense...
0 x

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

You may,,,,,,,,

Post by 1950 »

You may have this info. Well heres the first few parra's to browse.
Hope you enjoy it :) .
PS-dont tell. :wink: .
0 x

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

and another...

Post by 1950 »

Weathers good here today.
0 x

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Adv for speaker builders.

Post by 1950 »

Made dozens of these for bars & discos.
Hearing them being used helps to get an idea what they can do, and how the public can damage them?
Guitar cabs are so unpredictable, due to guitarists needs, but a basic box is a good starter.
0 x

jockscott
Unrated

Post by jockscott »

I have finished my 1x12 open cabinet. Built something between a Fender deluxe(something) And another drawing i found.
driver is a Celestion G12T75 and amp madamp m15mk1.

0 x

GUITARmole
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Not.....

Post by GUITARmole »

1950 wrote:Light weight?? are you guys weaklings- heavy gear for rock & roll dudes, show off those tatoo'd biceps.
If we were a bunch of tough-guys we wouldn't be discussing 1x12 cabinets! 1x12's are for wimps...you need 2 4x12 cabinets or at least a 8x10!

Personally, I've been building my cabinets (speaker and combo/head boxes) out of pine like the old Fenders were and I love the weight savings and tone.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Only wimps care about the weight of cabs. :lol:
0 x

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

What thickness......

Post by 1950 »

Hey Mole, what thickness of pine do you use :?: is it ply (laminate) :?:
I have a load of straight 1/2" pine in the shed-a monsterous old bedroom cupboard carefully taken apart.
My favourite is still my old epifone VJ'r 1x12" box. Maybe my old ears are on the way out but this little cab cuts through the wax OK.
0 x

ontariomaximus
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ontariomaximus »

zaphod_phil wrote:Only wimps care about the weight of cabs. :lol:
Move a 4x12 with EVM12L's in out of car a few times, you might sing a different song. Call me a wimp!
Btw, I love the neo speakers. Jensen Tornado's, Emi Tonkerlites, Emi Deltalite 2512's.
0 x

GUITARmole
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: What thickness......

Post by GUITARmole »

1950 wrote:Hey Mole, what thickness of pine do you use :?: is it ply (laminate) :?:
I've been using 5/8" pine from Home Depot. Yes, it's laminate but not like a plywood...I'd call it 'butcher block' laminate because it's wide 5/8" thick solid pine strips joined together like a cutting board.

Anyway, it works for me and regardless of what I've read in magazines (by pro speaker cabinet builders) warning me to stay away from pine cabinets and to use plywood or hardwood instead...I think it sounds good.

I've got a small slant back 1x12" cabinet with a Celestion in it that is professionally made out of marine grade birch plywood. I can't stand hauling that thing around because it weighs more than my MUCH larger DIY pine 1x12 that I use with an old Bandmaster head in a piggyback configuration. I'm in the process of building a small pine 1x12 to replace it for use with my 18W. Yes, I'm a wimp...and I'm getting old...two strikes against me :lol:
0 x

olddawg
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by olddawg »

adamshame wrote: My dad has what seems like an unlimited supply of 3/4 inch plywood and access to a shop.
Just make sure that it is cabinet grade no voids plywood. If you use "construction" grade plywood it will probably buzz and rattle because of the voids.
0 x

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

One of.....

Post by 1950 »

One of my first speaker boxes 30 yrs ago, was made from old cupboard drawer bases, 1/2" straight pine, glued & screwed, not ply, 1 x 12" Fane. This box lasted and sounded great (to me). A lick of black paint & sand paper.
Magic.
0 x

olddawg
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: One of.....

Post by olddawg »

1950 wrote:One of my first speaker boxes 30 yrs ago, was made from old cupboard drawer bases, 1/2" straight pine, glued & screwed, not ply, 1 x 12" Fane. This box lasted and sounded great (to me). A lick of black paint & sand paper.
Magic.
We used to look for big old 12" and 15" wooden stereo speaker cabs for small stage monitors, practice guitar speakers, and such. If they were the solid wood or wood veneer type, some flat black paint and 1/4" metal screen for a grill made for a nice looking little cab. We also had to cover up any mid or tweeter speaker holes usually by cutting, gluing, and screwing a piece of old wood panneling turned backwards or plywood with a little Dap.
0 x

paulschnettler
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by paulschnettler »

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, I built a 1x12 cab from the AX84 site plans. I used 1" poplar (birch) which of course is only 3/4" thick lumber. The plans call for corner joints and battens which substantially increase the stiffness and strength of the enclosure. I think 1/2" lumber could be used as well with certain precautions. The cab is a ported design with the port on the back side. I'm a believer... the cab sounds outstanding with a G12-H20.
0 x