1x12 speaker cabinet

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

jockscott
Unrated

1x12 speaker cabinet

Post by jockscott »

Hello, first topic here on 18w.com. I will build an speaker cabinet 1x12 to use with an 18w amp in a top.

Is there any good drawings, descriptions, pictures of 1x12 speaker cabinets you could advice?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

marlinster

Post by marlinster »

And perhaps exchange the MDF as described in the drawing for baltic birch 18mm, and even thinner baffle :)
0 x

adamshame

Post by adamshame »

Thanks for posting that! This will be my next project. My dad has what seems like an unlimited supply of 3/4 inch plywood and access to a shop.

With my rudimentary math, I guess that the cab is approximately 24 x 18 x 10 when converted to inches?
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

adamshame wrote:the cab is approximately 24 x 18 x 10
Sounds about right!
My 1x12 is slightly smaller, and prefer a sloping front on my cabs. I did make one larger, but found a 1x12 in a large(er) cabinet to be a bit boomy for me. It's just a matter of taste.
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

AlunAmpUk

Post by AlunAmpUk »

There is also a set of drawings over on AX84 for a 1X12 cab. I have built one and it sounds great. It is a ported back design, but you can run it either ported, sealed or open as you see fit. Might be worth a look?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

0 x

Bry
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Bry »

Nice looking cabs WaZak.
I like the slope on them.
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

Bry wrote:Nice looking cabs WaZaK. I like the slope on them.
Thanks Bry.
Just cheepo MDF - but sound as good as any I have heard ....
I believe the slope gets the sound "off the floor".
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Boomy?

Post by 1950 »

Single Speaker should always be off centre to avoid boominess-yup!! A bass speaker is usually centred. Too ridgid (1/2 to 5/8 inch ply is OK) a box kills sound too.
Rear loaded speaker is more directional than front loaded.
Move speaker to opposite side of combo faceplate to amp trannies, ballancies up when carrying.
Just a few pointers guys.
0 x

brewdude
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by brewdude »

I have a small Lopo 1x12 w/ a WGS V30 clone in it and it's a little boomy/woofy.
I also have a D-style 1x12 w/ a WGS G1265 clone. It is much larger and sounds much better in the low end. It is big and deep yet natural sounding. It is new, and seems that it could use some more breaking in to mellow the high end some.
While both cabinets have the speaker mounted in the center, I believe the small cabinet is making the V30 sound boomy. I really should try it in the D-style cab.
0 x

jockscott
Unrated

Post by jockscott »

Thanks for all answers, i built an combination of a deluxe and something other don´t know what i should call it. A open cabinet approx 48cm wide, 42cm height front baffle and 25cm deep with an angle of 5degree on the front. Did follow an drawing of an existing cabinet and modified some but doesn´t know if better or worse. All cabinet built of MDF since i got it at home.

Haven´t cut out the hole for speaker unit so i will put it a bit off axis.

Mabye put up some pics when finished. Guitar speakers are very easy to build, i used to build pretty advanced hifispeakers so i make another if this sounds awful.
0 x

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Solid state.......

Post by 1950 »

Past years, I gone through a lot of S/state combo's. I'm finding that using the speaker box/chamber internal measurements of the origional S/state combo (+ origional good quality speakers), does not suit tube amp sounds at all.
I worked on PA speakers for many years and found the high,s horn pushes the speaker away from the middle if the box, which cleans up "boomy" sound so much. Further extremes of off centre tests (guitar speaker box) made up "my mind" for sure.
semi open back, small size is good for guitar sound too. Box size seems uninportant (within reason),
Sorry guys, but my view comes from lotsa messing around with speakers & boxes.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Here's a little 1/12 cab we built and use all the time now .... Sounds Killer with my 18 watters... Baby Will , and Absolute Minimum
http://www.wattkins.com/node/15707
0 x

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Not.....

Post by 1950 »

Not ported for guitar. Only has to be a baffle/sound board. Light weight?? are you guys weaklings- heavy gear for rock & roll dudes, show off those tatoo'd biceps.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Not.....

Post by zaphod_phil »

1950 wrote:I worked on PA speakers for many years and found the high,s horn pushes the speaker away from the middle if the box, which cleans up "boomy" sound so much. Further extremes of off centre tests (guitar speaker box) made up "my mind" for sure.
Yes, I agree. Off centre is good. It also helps not to have square boxes. The length, width and height should ideally have a golden ratio relationship.
1950 wrote: Box size seems uninportant (within reason)
Larger boxes do give more bass - at least with sealed cabs.
1950 wrote:Not ported for guitar.
True. Ported cabs and guitar don't usually mix well. However, the AX84 1X12 cab has been mathematically designed as a ported cab specifically for guitar use. And it really works as many DIY builders will testify. But that's an exception to the general rule IMO.
0 x

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Hey Zaph..

Post by 1950 »

My few years of making PA speakers & the like, were mostly designed from an Eminence tech CD, punched in all the speaker perameters, etc, which I had a few doubts about.
Guitarists like to hear their own sound-a closed or ported single 12 speaker box will project forward, leaving guitarist guessing. I used most of the boxes working for a few bands at mixing desks. I gotta admit, different venue/audience size/ambient temperature, will change yer mind about most any PA, or combo, etc.
All in the air, but only my oppinion for sure Guys.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Hey Zaph..

Post by zaphod_phil »

1950 wrote:Guitarists like to hear their own sound-a closed or ported single 12 speaker box will project forward, leaving guitarist guessing.
Hmmm, I set my amp so the speaker points at me, rather than away from me. Don't you...?? Then I have a mic going to the PA desk for everyone else's benefit.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Weaklings ??? WTF??? We're just OLD. :lol:
ZP's the one with the right idea... Mike that cab ... 8)
0 x

Occasional poster
Occasional poster

WTF-?-?-?

Post by 1950 »

OK you guys :? , I'm beat :oops: , but not a weakling :) .
Most my gigs now don't involve mixers, maybe I'm forgettin theres a whole world out there, but a semi open back guitar cab lets other band members know what your doin without having to wait for the monitors to tell them half way through the next barre :roll: .
S'pose I'd best write about the weather in future-speakers ???
I do prefer the sound of a single speaker, multi's seem to mush more.
0 x