Brown drop handle Watkins Dominator

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Spongebob

Brown drop handle Watkins Dominator

Post by Spongebob »

I've managed to source or make almost all the parts needed for Charlie Watkins Dominator reissue, but one part (that I thought would be easy to find) eludes me - perhaps a club member may be able to point me in the right direction?

The part is a brown case drop handle with brass coloured fittings. I can get them in black, as seen in my gallery, but I think brown would look a lot better. I can get them made very cheaply in China, but the MOQ is 3,000 which is about 2,990 too many. These are so cheap I could afford to throw them away, but it would be criminal to use them as "land fill".

I've attched a photo of the orignal design, I'm looking for a style as close to this as possible. Just over 100 would be great

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks for looking,

Spongebob
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

How about some of these links?

http://www.saddler.co.uk/shop.html?cr=3 ... _suitcases

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/h ... andles.htm

Maybe on eof the leathery workers could make a batch for you?
good luck

Mike
0 x

Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

Hello Mike

Thanks for trying, I've already checked out those sites but couldn't find what I needed - too expensive or not suitable for some reason. I've been looking for nearly a year now, so I guess I've exhausted most possabilities, so I'm asking everybody in the hope I strike gold.

The leather works route also proved negative as I'm told they use a pressed steel "armature" for covering, but all the UK suppliers of armatures have now gone out of business.

I mentioned about the Chinese makers, I can get 3,000 made for just 15p each (not surprising the UK makers closed shop). This actually works out reasonably economic if I use 100 and throw away the rest, but I can't bring myself to do that - green ethics. Even said that I'll pay 1.50 GBP each for 300 (they can keep the spare 2,700) but they won't do that. It's very frustrating!

BTW I do admire your webshop. I owned a musical instrument spares (wholesale) company for many years, sold it to Skytronic last year. I wish you well in your business. I'll send you a PM as we may have some common interest.

Regards

Spongebob
0 x

LeeMo
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by LeeMo »

If you have a handle that you can copy, you could make one yourself. Here is a site with some good videos:
http://www.alumilite.com/

A machinist could copy the hinges from brass stock.

LeeMo
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

Just a thought here, but as you sold off your business, I dunno if you wish to try this.

you *could* purchase the whole production run, and sell off the extras here, fleabay, (any other forum you may visit and qualify to,) etc.

The way fleabay sometimes works, you just might have enough for a good pint of your favorite beverage (Guinness?), or a build.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

Was thinking similar thoughts. But you don't want to spend the time packaging all the excess individually for selling. Surely one of the amp part suppliers, case makers/repairers, furniture makers, or someone else would take them off your hands for bulk postage cost. If the 3000 piece order is your only option, there's got to be an alternative to throwing them out....
0 x

Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

LeeMo wrote:If you have a handle that you can copy, you could make one yourself. Here is a site with some good videos:
http://www.alumilite.com/

A machinist could copy the hinges from brass stock.

LeeMo
Thanks for the suggestion LeeMo. The repro knobs were made using a similar system to that, but in regular resin, same as the originals. I know resin won't be strong enough as the Dominator weighs around 19 Kilos and the cross secton of the handle at the ends is not a large enough area.

I'll check out "Alumilite" to see if it's stronger than regular resin.

I think I can source the pressed metal fittings OK, at least in nickel. They would just need brass plating.

Also thanks to Shrapnel & Katoplan

My worry in buying the whole run is that if nobody makes brown drop handles, I guess it's because nobody (except me) wants to buy them!

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Spongebob
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

Look for a shop that does luggage repair. That type handle was common on luggage for decades and I know there are places that repair/restore old ("vintage" if you must) luggage. You may not find them in smaller cities but NY, LA, Miami, Chicago, & al. should all have multiple shops that do this. Here's one in Portland, OR: http://www.luggagedoctors.com/ You might also try shoe repair shops. They're often able to do many things besides shoes.

KennyO
0 x