Cannabis Rex

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Cannabis Rex

Post by Brewmaster »

I have been using the Eminence Canabis Rex in my 18 watt TMB for a couple of weeks. I have to say this is a very good alternative for those looking for a different flavor. I still prefer a G12h but the Cannabis Rex is a very good, huge bang for the buck speaker.

It is noticably louder at the same settings I usually play at which is 6 on the drive and volume and with all tone pots at the mid point. The speaker was very stiff at first, almost plastic sounding but as it started breaking in it warmed up, and continues to warm up nicely. It has a bit of snarkiness to the lower mid- growl, which I like, and the usual mid growl one expects from an 18 watter blooms nicely. No boominess on the bottom end, it stays nice and tight.

The highs are becoming more pleasant as it breaks in. There was a little peakiness as first but it went away as it was breaking in.

This is definitely a good rock speaker and can cover some blues as well. as a frame of refernce I play mostly Southern Rock; Alllan Brothers, Black Crows, Skynard, etc. with late 60's and early 70's Classic Rock. I am an old coot after all and I play the music I grew up with.

On scale of 1 to 5 I would give it a solid 4 at this point. It is still breaking in so maybe the best is yet to come.

I hope this helps any who where considering this speaker.
0 x

Norbert

Post by Norbert »

Cool review, thanks! Seems to be a well-liked speaker around here.
0 x

Cole

Post by Cole »

Could you make a clip with the cannabis rex?
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

I've got an interest in this speaker I can't seem to shake. Still I can't really justify another speaker box in the house. Thanks for the review.

What sort of speaker box do you have it mounted in? (?x12, open or closed, etc).
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Had one for a while, didn't like it myself. The highs are rolled off, the mids are very full, and there's very little cone break up. I can see where some people would like those things though.
0 x

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Brewmaster »

I'm back to the G12H30 in my 18.

I still have the Cannabis Rex but it is sitting in my closet until I have the time to put it in my 2x12 cab. I'm also deciding what to match it up with or just get another. I want to use it with my 36 watter. It was mounted in my 18 watt open back 1x12 combo.

Yes, the mids are full and snarky but it doesn't feed back like the G12H30 since it is a 50 watt speaker. I didn't notice any rolloff on the high end.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

krx wrote:The highs are rolled off, the mids are very full.....
Well, that's two things in its favour I can see right away. :) Should help balance the brightness of EL84s real well.

I'm also fascinated by the Canis Major, which is the Alnico version of the same speaker. I bet that one sounds real sweet.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Well, that's two things in its favour I can see right away. :) Should help balance the brightness of EL84s real well.

I'm also fascinated by the Canis Major, which is the Alnico version of the same speaker. I bet that one sounds real sweet.
All depends on your style, guitar, circuit variations, etc. :)

I wonder if the Canis Major is the same thing with a different magnet or if they've tweaked the voice coil, cone, etc.? I had a 10" alnico and 12" ceramic Tone Tubby before and they sounded nothing like the Rex.
0 x

ontariomaximus
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ontariomaximus »

zaphod_phil wrote:

A customer of mine swears by the Canis Major and I trust his opinion. He's tried the Tone Tubby Alnico and much prefers the CM
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

ontariomaximus wrote:A customer of mine swears by the Canis Major and I trust his opinion. He's tried the Tone Tubby Alnico and much prefers the CM
Have you heard it yourself? A description would be much appreciated, especially in comparison to the Tubbies and the Rex.

Oh yeah, looks like Jensen is doing a hemp cone now too:
http://jensentone.com/jc12-50f.php
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

krx wrote: I had a 10" alnico and 12" ceramic Tone Tubby before and they sounded nothing like the Rex.
In what way?

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that Eminence get their hemp cones from Tone Tubby....
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Brewmaster »

zaphod_phil wrote:
krx wrote: I had a 10" alnico and 12" ceramic Tone Tubby before and they sounded nothing like the Rex.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that Eminence get their hemp cones from Tone Tubby....
I was just getting ready to post the same thing. It is what led me to try it in the first place.
0 x

ontariomaximus
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ontariomaximus »

krx wrote:
ontariomaximus wrote:A customer of mine swears by the Canis Major and I trust his opinion. He's tried the Tone Tubby Alnico and much prefers the CM
Have you heard it yourself? A description would be much appreciated, especially in comparison to the Tubbies and the Rex.

Oh yeah, looks like Jensen is doing a hemp cone now too:
http://jensentone.com/jc12-50f.php
No I haven't heard it, but it is on my list along with the ASW KTS-70. I do have both alnico and ceramic Tone Tubbies here though. I had a C-Rex through here a few months ago, I have to admit I was pretty impressed.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

zaphod_phil wrote:
In what way?

Tone Tubby actually has a few different cone options you can get, so there's not one single hemp cone sound.

Anyways, the Tone Tubbies are BRIGHT. Not harsh, but very bright. The Rex is a much warmer speaker. I liked the Tubbies much better myself. I'm curious to try one of their "San Rafael" speakers with the smaller magnet sometime.
0 x