Cabinet size of the original 2x12 version of the 18watt?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

ledzettervall
Unrated

Cabinet size of the original 2x12 version of the 18watt?

Post by ledzettervall »

Was the 2x12 combo (was it called 1973?) the same size as the 1974 with two 12's squeezed in there or was it larger?

Also, do you know if it was a pair of 8 ohm speakers in there wired for 16 ohms or if the two speakers were 16 ohms and wired for 8 ohm?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Have you checked in the Downloads section?

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... oad&cid=35
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

ChrisU
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ChrisU »

The 2x12 combo was larger, there's no way 2 12's will fit in a 1974.
0 x

ledzettervall
Unrated

Post by ledzettervall »

Thank you! I didnt realize there were plans there in the downloads section. If the plans there are like the original 60s 2x12 combo, it appears to be the same depth and height but somewhat wider. Interesting, anyone know if they were wired 8 or 16 ohms?
0 x

ElMarshalloso
Unrated

Post by ElMarshalloso »

There was no Marshall 18 watt with 2x12, the 2x12 "Bluesbreaker" was 36 watt.

According to what's stated on http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... sited.aspx the dimensions of the plans on the download section are wrong. They are not acording to the original Marshall 1962 combo, nor the reissue, nor the one-of-a-kind "Clapton spec" Bluesbreaker.

It would be nice to have proper cabinet plans.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

ElMarshalloso wrote:There was no Marshall 18 watt with 2x12, the 2x12 "Bluesbreaker" was 36 watt. According to what's stated on http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... sited.aspx the dimensions of the plans on the download section are wrong.
Actually that article doesn't make any references to the 18W "baby bluesbreaker" combos, just the regular JTM45 Bluesbreaker combos. The author of the article is also badly confused on the subject of loudspeakers, stating that the original 20W Greenback speaker was an alnico. 8O That's a really fundamental mistake to make.

You only need go to the Gallery section on this site and check out the album of Original 18W amps. There's a few different original 2X12 18W combos in the album. The cabinet plans in the Downloads section match those amps. People went to a lot of trouble in the early days of the 18W community to get all the little details exactly right.
0 x

ElMarshalloso
Unrated

Post by ElMarshalloso »

zaphod_phil wrote:You only need go to the Gallery section on this site and check out the album of Original 18W amps. There's a few different original 2X12 18W combos in the album. The cabinet plans in the Downloads section match those amps. People went to a lot of trouble in the early days of the 18W community to get all the little details exactly right.
Excuse my ignorance...

Never heared about original 18w 2x12 nor saw anything on internet. Any resources on that rare beasts?
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

I think Doyle's History of Marshall book mentions them. They had a model number so they were a catalog item. There's nothing really mysterious about the 2x12 version. It was the same amp in a 2x12 cabnet instead of the 2x10 or 1x12.

The Gallery is a great place to start. Everyone should have Doyle's book.
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

ElMarshalloso wrote:Never heared about original 18w 2x12 nor saw anything on internet. Any resources on that rare beasts?
That would be this website. Marshall seemed to have some sort of concept...kinda nuts:

1974 -- Guitar: 1-12"
1958 -- Keyboard: 2-10"
1973 -- Bass: 2-12"

Ian's Original in the Gallery is very nice. (Bear's Original seems to have disappeared...his right I suppose.)
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

As if anyone would play anything other than guitar through any of these - which were the same amp. :)
0 x

LeeMo
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by LeeMo »

I suppose that you could play accordian through one if you spit the baffle vertically and angle each half out a few degrees. Give it an art deco look and change the name to ... hmmm... I don't know.... Watkins maybe. :wink:

LeeMo
0 x