combo cabinet plywood/mdf thickness help?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

combo cabinet plywood/mdf thickness help?

Post by njkmonty »

im in australia, if i use mdf for baffle , what thickness?

and plywood for remainder?

just getting ready to make combo cab , and came across an article somewhere re how the baffle needs to be certain thickness , can anyone help?

ps metric would be luxurious conveniance!
0 x

overlock

Post by overlock »

I don't think MDF would be much use for a baffle, because it tends to absorb energy. 1/2" plywood seems to be the standard for baffles.

For the rest of the cabinet, most makers use either Baltic birch plywood or solid pine. I don't know what availability is like in Oz, but where I live you might as well ask for solid ebony as Baltic birch plywood. I made a combo cab recently from 12mm exterior grade ply, which worked OK, but it was hard to cut finger joints in it, because of the tear-out. I've bought a 225 x 18 laminated pine shelf for my next one.

There's a really good photo log and construction drawings here: http://www.silvatone.bravepages.com/18% ... /Build.htm

Joe
0 x

paulschnettler
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

baltic birch plywood

Post by paulschnettler »

I saw a flyer last week from Rockler (woodworking supplies) advertising 1/2, 1ft, and 2ft by 36inch baltic birch plywood in various thickness. Price seemed very good. Of course, shipping tends to be kindof high.
Might be worth a look if you've got too expensive wood suppliers.
0 x

ChrisU
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ChrisU »

12mm is what is used for the 1974x and 2061cx cab plus many others. It is difficult to work with when doing box joints and dovetails. The most common grade seems to be B/BB which has the surface knots punched out and patched on one side. Splintering at the ends in a overlapping type jig is a pain so I make the panels wider then cut to size after machining.
0 x

kealonnix
Unrated

Re: combo cabinet plywood/mdf thickness help?

Post by kealonnix »

I know this is an old thread, but that link was very helpful to me as I'm about to build an 18 watt cabinet. I had a question though. Do you guys know how that guy attaches the grill cloth and piping on the top side of the speaker baffle? It would seem to me that he would have to stuff it in the groove that he cut and staple it before he put the front valence on. I don't know though. The front panel is the only piece of the cabinet that I can't figure out.
0 x

ChrisU
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: combo cabinet plywood/mdf thickness help?

Post by ChrisU »

You start at the top ensuring the cloth is straight and staple it to the edge. Then do the bottom, aligning it by checking the weave is straight down the sides. Get it fairly tight but don't pull the weave out of line. Then do the sides, again checking the weave as you go. Staple the piping to the valence bottom edge and then fix it on with 25mm screws from inside ,(assuming you are using 12mm material). I make six holes for the screws when making the baffle. Although the screws are 1mm longer than the thickness of the baffle + valence panel, the thickness of the tolex takes this up. I use countersunk screws but don't countersink the holes. Finally the piping goes on. I start in the middle of the top and keep the ends aligned by inserting a short length of white wire.
0 x