36 watt ef86

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

36 watt ef86

Post by menger »

is there a 36 watt ef86 layout, iv searched havent found one or maybe the marwatt mark
0 x

malt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by malt »

0 x

fzfwyv
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by fzfwyv »

Here is an EF86 4xEL84 build I just completed.

I used this schematic which was at one time posted in the download section: http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/vox/ac34ef86.pdf

A few minor modifications - .047 for PI coupling caps, 8.2K power resistor to the PI to give it a little more ooomph, and I put the 1st filter cap before the standby ala' Tranwreck style. I used the PRP's for resistors and Sozo caps (not the hand wound ones). Also added a bright switch with a 50pf and a 330pf. The tone control is just a 3 position bypass cap switch .01 (stock value). .0047, .001. I upped the filter caps a bit to 22uf-22uf-10uf-10uf which gives a really great feel to the amp and no ghosting that I can hear so far.

I built a few of these previous with spare parts or what was on hand. This one, I spec'd out all the parts just for this amp. This thing is totally Vox! It chimes & grinds and it never loses it's character. It's quiet as hell and rings, chimes, glassiness, or whatever stupid adjective you want to use. It really is great.

Front & Rear plates are from BNP and I bought the blue power cord sleeve from wirecare (.com). A cool thing if you want to dress up some cables. There are lots of options.

I'll have to make a vid & post on youtube because I have to say I'm proud of myself for this one. I'm really impressed with the sound and it does all the classis Vox stuff in spades!

I always have to thank the guys here who've helped me along...Graydon & all the old timers... you guys rock.

-Rich
Last edited by fzfwyv on Fri 10/16/09 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

very nice, well i down sized and am just ding the 18 watt, but id like to add a cut do you have a link for it? mark
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

I LOVE the blue power cord. Thanks for the tip!

What kind of resistors are those? Never seen 'em before.
0 x

fzfwyv
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by fzfwyv »

Correction: www.wirecare.com

Cut is very simple to add...just two wires, a 250k pot, & a .0047 cap...that's it. You can easily add it to the 18 watt.
0 x

smolder

Post by smolder »

how did you do the lettering on the chassis?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Even though we don't deal with Vox amps on this site, that's a real nice looking build!!! :D

So for an "EF86 36W Lite", you could use this preamp with the 36W PI and power amp. That will give a little more good Marshall style growl, and take some fizziness out of the amp's breakup.

What Ceriatone has done is to use this same preamp for the Normal channel of a 36W TMB.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Snooty

Post by Snooty »

Reminds me of my Trainwreck Rocket I built, or my Dr Z Stangray or the Prescription Extra Strength a friend and I are building.

Mark
0 x

Snooty

Post by Snooty »

Zaphoid do you know if anyone has built a similar amp such as you described for a more Marshall tone?

Also transformer of choice would GDS?

Mark
0 x