Absolute best tubes for LiteIIB

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

hartwell

Post by hartwell »

+1 on the gold pin Tung Sol 12ax7 - I just got two this week cheap and I love them in my Night Train. I'm hoping they sound as good in the Baby Will I'm building.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

If you build it yourself, you are not confined to EL84 and 12AX7.

Instead of EL84, look for a pair of Sylvania 6GK6, different pin out, same tube, you won't be sorry, tone wise or when you look in your wallet. Try Jim McShane for 6GK6. He can be found via Google. He caters to the Citation amps crowd, but I wish I knew what he knows about guitar amps and amps in general.

Instead of the 12AX7, find a used Mullard 6EU7. This is another case of same tube different pinout.

Yeah, yeah, yada, yada, others will tell you these aren't the same. OK they are so close as to be hard to distinguish.

My 2 cents.

Phil
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Another good substitute for EL84s are EL83s. Pretty much the same tube with a different pinout. Rory Gallagher's AC30s were modded to use them.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

jckid66
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jckid66 »

recently I heard a lite IIb on you tube according to the title it had 12ax7 and a pair of 6v6 for power and it sounded amazing!! 8O its hard to believe that a 3 knob (gain,tone,master) amp could sound this awesome!!! I want to try one with a pair of big bottle 6v6

Bill
0 x

kyoungsteadt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kyoungsteadt »

The lite iib would sound good with 6aq5a in the power section too if you are thinking 6v6.
0 x