sourmashguitarcabs anybody use them

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

sourmashguitarcabs anybody use them

Post by menger »

I need a few headcabs has anyone used sourmashguitarcab i seen them on ebay 165$ for a small box wondering about a product review? or if anyone making them id like to get a few, thanks mark
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

I bought a head cab from them once. It was okay but not as nice as the Avatar, Mojo, or JDesign stuff I've had. I'd put them on par with Weber and Lopo -- not bad, not great.
0 x

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Brewmaster »

krx wrote:I bought a head cab from them once. It was okay but not as nice as the Avatar, Mojo, or JDesign stuff I've had. I'd put them on par with Weber and Lopo -- not bad, not great.
Ditto! The head cabs are ok and only ok. The combo cab isn't so hot. IMHO the Weber cabs I have seen are better. I haven't come across any Lopo cabs so no comment.
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Could you make your criticism more… understandable, what was it that you didn’t like, poor woodwork, crappy tolex job… etc.
0 x

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

Well lets put it this way should i buy one of them that you guys say aint that great, or should i give my buddy who is a journymen machinest and a ace wood worker a coulpe a hundred and some plans for a couple trainwrek style heads and let him make them out of the walnut or oak hes got stacked up in his shop? mark
0 x

MadDitch
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by MadDitch »

I have one:

1. Tolex coming up where it overlaps around the back and edges
2. Wood putty filling big knot holes
3. Front cut out is too tall so there is a gap between face plate
4. 1x1 mounting pieces are cut short leaving a 1" gap between top and bottom.

I would only get one if you can get it for under $100
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Just generally shoddy build quality and materials. No major flaws in the one I had but it was clearly made fast and cheap.

If your friend knows what he's doing, I don't think you're going to get a better price than that on hardwood cabs.
0 x

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

thank you madditch, mark
0 x

jstrassburg
Unrated

Post by jstrassburg »

I actually ordered a 1x12 combo cab from sourmash a couple weeks ago (before I saw this thread) so I was nervous. However, I received the cabinet today (green tolex w/bluesbreaker grillcloth and white piping) and I'm very happy with the quality. The outside looks great, the inside of the cabinet isn't that clean (rough cuts and so on) but it will be fine for the price if it doesn't rattle.

I'll try to post some detailed pictures tomorrow.
0 x

jstrassburg
Unrated

Post by jstrassburg »

Here are some pictures of my sourmash cab I received yesterday: http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii17 ... 20cabinet/
0 x

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Brewmaster »

MadDitch wrote:I have one:

1. Tolex coming up where it overlaps around the back and edges
2. Wood putty filling big knot holes
3. Front cut out is too tall so there is a gap between face plate
4. 1x1 mounting pieces are cut short leaving a 1" gap between top and bottom.

I would only get one if you can get it for under $100
I didn't have any wood putty filling in either one of mine but the fit and finish was not the greatest. Also the speaker hole in the combo isn't well rounded. A friend of mine said the short falls I pointed out didn't bother him and for a DIY homebrew amp and not for sale commercially it was OK especially for the $$$.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

My biggest complaint is that the joints are just butt joints with braces from what I can tell. Not terrible, but I can do that myself. If I'm gonna pay someone else, I want dovetails or fingers. There were a few staples holding wood in place in mine, too. Looked like pretty low-grade wood, too.

For a cheap head cab, I thought it was okay, but I wouldn't buy a speaker cab from them....
0 x