The perfect speaker pair for my 18 watt. Help!

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

beastfromsea
Unrated

The perfect speaker pair for my 18 watt. Help!

Post by beastfromsea »

I'm looking for a good balance between the two speakers, one with nice chimey highs and then one with some full-bodied low end tone. I would like the speakers to allow for my amp to have some more clean headroom as well. I'm thinking about going with a 12A125A and a 12F150B.

If anyone has any experience with these speakers or any suggestions for a different set, please share your knowledge!
Last edited by beastfromsea on Tue 11/10/09 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Wayne_Alexander
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Wayne_Alexander »

Those are not classic choices for an 18-watt amp. Those are Jensen-voiced speakers, like those in Tweed and Blackface Fenders. You probably want a Celestion-voiced speakers. If you're set on Webers I'd suggest you go with Scumbacks, which are made by Weber for Jim Seavall according to Jim's proprietary specs, and sound like old 60's Celestions. Jim will give you advice about which speakers you want based on the sound you're after. I'd probably suggest one 75hz H magnet one and one 75hz M magnet one, or one 75hz H magnet one with one Scumnico alnico.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I need to remind everyone that due to the previous legal issues with Weber, we aren't able to discuss Weber products on 18watt.com.

Edit: This restriction has now been relaxed, following the sad demise of Ted Weber. As per Graydon we can now mention Weber products during the course of a discussion, but anything in depth about weber products still needs to happen on Weber's BBSs.
Last edited by zaphod_phil on Thu 12/31/09 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

timbo_93631
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by timbo_93631 »

I have one of the speakers you mentioned in my 1x12 combo, you ccan hear it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMOWBh5bgtQ

Again, discussion of Weber products is not allowed here
0 x

azrael
Unrated

Post by azrael »

Would it be alright if I asked for link detailing these issues? I'm new here, and am curious.
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

Since we have the agreement with them not to discuss their products here our position (stated on the 18watt.com home page) is to refer those discussions to Weber's own forum. While there surely are others, I'd say that's the best place to start.

KennyO
0 x

beastfromsea
Unrated

Post by beastfromsea »

I apologize for the ignorance, I should have looked around a little before posting this thread. Let me redirect my question a little...I would like to give my amp a little more clean headroom than usual, would putting american-voiced speakers in my amp make a noticeable difference or is that not a very smart move? If not, what kind of speakers would work well for what I'm trying to go for?
0 x

timbo_93631
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by timbo_93631 »

As a general rule-of-thumb, you will get more clean headroom and chime from ceramic magnet speakers than AlNiCo magnet speakers. I have a British style ceramic magnet speaker that I bought for my first build that I decided not to use after all because I play a strat and I wanted a little earlier breakup. That is why I went with the Jensen inspired AlNiCo. I will probably sell my amp with the British style speaker because it is what people expect to see, and it does sound really good with humbucker equipped guitars.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

beastfromsea wrote:...I would like to give my amp a little more clean headroom than usual...
Using higher-power-rated speakers will give you that. Like some of Eminence's Redcoat series, rated 60W or more. There's also small tweaks you can do to the amp that will probably give a more noticable effect.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

busterc
Unrated

Post by busterc »

There's a thread below about the same topic, one G12 and one alnico blue gives you the best of both worlds, works great for me
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

G12 is Celestions model number for the Alnico Blue.... :?
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

timbo_93631 wrote:As a general rule-of-thumb, you will get more clean headroom and chime from ceramic magnet speakers than AlNiCo magnet speakers.
I disagree. For instance, a ceramic Greenback is very inefficient (i.e. low headroom), breaks up quickly, and doesn't have much "chime." A 15W alnico blue, on the other hand, has lots of chime and is very loud. It's actually tough to think of a speaker that is more efficient and more chimey.

A 15W blue will break up on the low notes pretty bad though if you push anything close to 15W through it. I like to go up to a 50W alnico blue style (there's a few out there, the Emi Red Fang being the best value) to warm things up a little and keep the speaker from farting out.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

krx wrote:
timbo_93631 wrote:As a general rule-of-thumb, you will get more clean headroom and chime from ceramic magnet speakers than AlNiCo magnet speakers.
I disagree. For instance, a ceramic Greenback is very inefficient (i.e. low headroom), breaks up quickly, and doesn't have much "chime." A 15W alnico blue, on the other hand, has lots of chime and is very loud. It's actually tough to think of a speaker that is more efficient and more chimey.
I agree with your disagreement. :) I think you have to take every speaker individually, and the cone plays at least as big a part as the magnet.
Last edited by zaphod_phil on Sat 01/02/10 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

beastfromsea wrote:I would like to give my amp a little more clean headroom than usual, ...
I see you're getting plenty of response WRT speakers so I'll bring up something else. Visit this thread http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... ic&t=22338 That'll give you one quick answer.

KennyO
0 x