Contact Cement in a spray can?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

BackwoodsJoe

Contact Cement in a spray can?

Post by BackwoodsJoe »

I was looking at contact cement in the local Home Depot and noticed three different types of contact cement in the spray can. Anyone tried these products? I've been using the water based Dap brand (applied with a brush) and I'm ready to try something else. THX, joe
0 x

shardin

Post by shardin »

I used 3M 77 spray adhesive to cover my 2x12 speaker cab with vinyl. Worked OK, but hard to clean up the over spray and you have to work pretty quick.
0 x

paulschnettler
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by paulschnettler »

shardin wrote:I used 3M 77 spray adhesive to cover my 2x12 speaker cab with vinyl. Worked OK, but hard to clean up the over spray and you have to work pretty quick.
I'll second shardin's post. The 3M stuff works well but you have to work fast and overspray is a factor. I'm still a fan of the good old solvent based contact cement as I've learned how to use it well and it seems to hold like nothing else.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

+1

I like to use Weldwood Solvent based cement. The Gel works Ok but I like the older formula the best.
0 x

BackwoodsJoe

Post by BackwoodsJoe »

Thanks for the input Guys, I think I'll try the Dap solvent (red & white can) again. joe
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

i don't use the 3M 77 adhesive.It does not harden and the tolex eventually lifts.The water based contact cement works the best,it just takes a long time to dry.
I have used spray on contact cement and it does work but you end up using a lot of it and the nozzle clogs easily so it's hard to get an even coat.Brush and roller is still the best unless you have a spray booth and like cleaning tips a lot.
0 x