2x12 cab with what speakers?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Archer

2x12 cab with what speakers?

Post by Archer »

I have a valvepower 18w but I am debating what speakers to get. I have looked at the Celestion G12H-30 Anniversary and the Celestion G12M-25.

So, what speakers should I get?

EDIT: I was also looking at the Tayden True Brit

Thanks,
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

Hoo, boy! You have no fear, asking a question like that around here. OK I'll open the floodgate with this: I have a 65 Amps London combo with one G12H30 and one G12 Alnico Blue. Jawdroppingly liquid and oh so sweetly balanced. Since this question has been asked/answered many times I recommend perusing this Cabinets & Speakers forum for a spectrum of opinion. Note which amps are being discussed because one speaker works well with one amp variant but not so much with another.

KennyO
0 x

busterc
Unrated

Post by busterc »

I also like one alnico blue and one G12
0 x

morcey2
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by morcey2 »

For an open back cab, my go-to setup is a G12H-30 and a Vintage 30. I've yet to find an amp that sounds bad through that combo. Unless it's just a bad amp regardless.

For a sealed cab, I really like a pair of well broken-in greenbacks.

I've got another setup that I have tried, but didn't leave together because I had to put the G12H and V30 back together for a friend borrowing the cab. That setup was an old Cletron 12" alnico out of a Conn organ paired with a Bad Betty speaker from a Judy Box amp (they're now defunct). Both are relatively inefficient, in the 93dB range but that's fine for cranking things. It was a very fluid sound and as soon as I have money in January I plan on getting a cab for them.

I've also heard many good things about the Blue/Greenback combo. If you ignore the price of the Blue.

Matt
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

Blue & Greenback
Blue & G12H30

if you can't afford the Blue, an eminence Red Fang will get you 90 to 95% there for less.
0 x