Weber AlNiCo Sig12S 8 ohm 25 watt any good for 18 watt?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

zappacat

Weber AlNiCo Sig12S 8 ohm 25 watt any good for 18 watt?

Post by zappacat »

Will this speaker work OK for an 18 watt. I happened to have some cash on me the other day(a rarity) and picked this speaker up at MusiciansFriend. Will this be OK as a starter speaker? Looks like it's NOS. Just trying to get some stuff together piece by piece for my first build. If it won't work I need to take it back while I still can. I can't seem to match the numbers excatly with any mentioned here in the forums so I'm posting some pictures with the only information I have about this speaker. I've seen similar speakers mentioned on the WEB but most of them are pertaining to Fender 5E3 and champ builds.

Thanks in advance.

0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

It is a nice speaker, although it has Jensen like characteristics and not the british tone associaed with your typical 18W speaker. It is defintiely worthy of checking out.

I am sure that you will get a lot of contrary opinions once the guys here wake up and give their 2 cents worth, but the bottom line is that all that matters is if YOU like it, not someone else.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Zap I have one and use it all the time for gigging .... works fine with my Baby Will and 5E3 ... Was a bit bright till It got broken in...
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

what_wires wrote:I am sure that you will get a lot of contrary opinions once the guys here wake up and give their 2 cents worth
:lol: here's one: they're crap unless you want a lot of speaker breakup and a farty low end. If you're playing with more than mild overdrive, you're probably going to want a different speaker. They definitely won't get you the classic Marshall sound if that's what you're chasing. They are also pretty low efficiency, something like 95-96 dB/W/m.

Also, it's not NOS, just the regular made-in-China "Signature" speaker. And under that big bell cover lurks a teeny tiny 7 oz. magnet.
0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

krx wrote: :lol: here's one: they're crap unless you want a lot of speaker breakup and a farty low end.
I really don't think you know what you are talking about. I built a late 50's tweed Twin with a pair of these in it and the amp was an easy carry, frighteningly loud, and shimmery clean as a fender should be. Great definition and plenty of bottom end... Additionally, the important thing is how Zappacat likes it..
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

From our home page: "Also, it is requested that all questions related to any products from Weber VST (including kits, speakers, parts, etc) be directed to Weber's own forums."

The constraint on discussing Ted Weber has been eased by the admins but not yet for the discussion of Weber products. Let's not reopen or rub salt into that wound. Since Weber's company sells a kit based on the Marshall 18 watt amp there should be no problem getting opinions about that speaker with that amp on their forum.

KennyO
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

what_wires wrote:
krx wrote: :lol: here's one: they're crap unless you want a lot of speaker breakup and a farty low end.
I really don't think you know what you are talking about.
Well now that's just not fair. We're talking about their suitability used singly in a (cathode-biased) Marshall 18W, not in pairs in a (fixed bias) tweed Fender -- completely different situations. If you're only going to use mild overdrive and like a Jensen-voiced speaker, the Signature is okay, otherwise it is not what most people would want in an 18W.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

CurtissRobin wrote:From our home page: "Also, it is requested that all questions related to any products from Weber VST (including kits, speakers, parts, etc) be directed to Weber's own forums."

The constraint on discussing Ted Weber has been eased by the admins but not yet for the discussion of Weber products. Let's not reopen or rub salt into that wound. Since Weber's company sells a kit based on the Marshall 18 watt amp there should be no problem getting opinions about that speaker with that amp on their forum.

KennyO
Yeah, I figure this thread will be disappeared by the stasi pretty soon. For what it's worth, Weber doesn't use their Signature speakers in the "18W" kit they sell.
0 x

PaulBlandford
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PaulBlandford »

krx wrote:If you're only going to use mild overdrive and like a Jensen-voiced speaker, the Signature is okay, otherwise it is not what most people would want in an 18W.
From my reading here, most people don't actually know what they want, they come here for advice and suggestions, and perhaps enthusiasm wouldn't hurt. We are so set in our ways up here, it's unhealthy.
-Paul
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

PaulBlandford wrote:
krx wrote:If you're only going to use mild overdrive and like a Jensen-voiced speaker, the Signature is okay, otherwise it is not what most people would want in an 18W.
From my reading here, most people don't actually know what they want, they come here for advice and suggestions, and perhaps enthusiasm wouldn't hurt. We are so set in our ways up here, it's unhealthy.
-Paul
You make a good point, but I can't be enthusiastic about a product that I honestly do think is pretty junky (made in China using the cheapest possible parts). If you want that style of speaker, I think you'd be better off spending a little more on a Weber "Vintage" series. I think, however, that most people who want or have an 18W are not using it primarily for blues and other 50s-era music.
0 x

PaulBlandford
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PaulBlandford »

krx wrote: You make a good point, but I can't be enthusiastic about a product that I honestly do think is pretty junky (made in China using the cheapest possible parts). If you want that style of speaker, I think you'd be better off spending a little more on a Weber "Vintage" series. I think, however, that most people who want or have an 18W are not using it primarily for blues and other 50s-era music.
I see your point, but it looks to me like it was an impulse purchase and all I can say to zappacat is to try it.

And of course as we all know by now—having learned many-a-lesson the hard way—relative expense, and origin of manufacture often (not always) has little-to-nothing to do with the overall quality of a product. And if cheapness does equate to poor quality, it could still be a lot of fun. One of may favorite small amps right now was made in Korea I believe, and was the best 450 bucks I spent this year. I gig it regularly and pay bills with the money I make. That makes me happy.

-Paul
0 x

timbo_93631
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by timbo_93631 »

I ended up with two different Weber speakers to try with my 18 watt combo, a 12A125 Vintage AlNiCo 8 ohm 30 watt, and a 1225C British Ceramic 16 ohm 25 watt. I initally liked the AlNiCo better, but once I got both speakers broken in and had a chance to play them both at church on multiple different ocassions, I prefer the ceramic more. I would say it is more jangly on the cleans and just sounds hotter when overdriven, more syrupy. It also seems to come through in the mix better. Planning on using the AlNiCo with a Ef86 6V6 Lite that I have in the works for more of a country lead Brad Paisley vibe. In the end neither speaker is purely traditional for an 18 watt but I ended up with a very nice sounding combo. Maybe your should break in what you bought and if it doesn't do what you are looking for keep it for a 5E3 or something. Those signature series are pretty affordable.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

CurtissRobin wrote:From our home page: "Also, it is requested that all questions related to any products from Weber VST (including kits, speakers, parts, etc) be directed to Weber's own forums."

krx wrote:Yeah, I figure this thread will be disappeared by the stasi pretty soon. For what it's worth, Weber doesn't use their Signature speakers in the "18W" kit they sell.
IMO common sense is always preferable to having to call in the "Stasi". FYI the rules have also been relaxed a little more....
Graydon wrote:Discussion of Weber products in depth is still something that should be taken to the Weber forums since they are better suited to answer those questions anyway, but brief discussion will not be immediately banned to the wastebin as it was before.
Like I said, common sense should always apply....
0 x

chabby
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chabby »

what_wires wrote:
I really don't think you know what you are talking about. I built a late 50's tweed Twin with a pair of these in it and the amp was an easy carry, frighteningly loud, and shimmery clean as a fender should be. Great definition and plenty of bottom end... Additionally, the important thing is how Zappacat likes it..
\
You used 25 watt alnicos in a twin? Damn. I used 10A125 Gold 30 watter alnicos in a brown Super and thought that was light. Actually ended up sounding great with light dope and no dope.

I also plugged my 18 watt into the fender cab for fun and it wasn't bad at all.
0 x