36 watt

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

HBamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

36 watt

Post by HBamp »

Hello,

I did the 36 watt thing a few years ago. I used Vox trannys in it and I can tell you its loud. Far to loud for a normal gig or to use in a practice room.
I 'am back with the 18 watt and thats loud enough. On stage it's working well. BTW always used Celestion alnico blues in it.

Henk Bergrath

hbamps
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

Henk,
The Master Volume (or gain control) makes a 36W suitable for practice, small gigs and duos. I took a vintage grey panel 1964 ? Vox AC30 with tob boost, reverb, the works, to practice last week. The Bass player and the singer both said, can you bring your 'Marshall' (36Watt) next time it is much better.
The drummer said ' any more of that beer left ?'

The Vox sounded terrible with the electro acoustic. The 36W is superb. It also cuts through, even without much treble. The Vox doesn't, I presume that is why the issue with top boost. The Vox sounds great when you are on your own,(except for the acoustic), but in a band situation it just doesn't cut it.
I am sticking with my 36 Watters for all situations. BUT I have just finished a 100 Watt superlead clone(never again) and I'm looking forward to cranking it.
And then perhaps putting a Rich MV Mod in it to make that adaptable.
Steve UK
0 x

HBamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

36 Watt

Post by HBamp »

Hello Steve,

I simply don't like master volume controls. They kill your tone.
For electro accoustic I tryed a 18 watt preamp with a plexi 50
power amp with KT 88 tubes in it. Lots of headroom and the sound was superb with a set of two 4 X12" (greenbacks) open back cabinets.
Volume < 4. tone 5.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

I think both have there place..

""" Far to loud for a normal gig """

Alot of the gigs,at least around here,the 36 watter would fit perfectly.
Alot of the guys are useing the 50 watt marshalls,and have to keep them turned down. The 36 watter,is kinda between the 18 and 50..
yes the 36 watter does have some bark to it,but it sounds and works great with a abnormal band..

Richie
0 x

HBamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

36 Watt

Post by HBamp »

I agree with that. I realy think the gigs in the Netherlands are smaller then in the US. I 'am playing in big a soul band, 13 people in total. The amp is miked and I don't need the extra 18 watt. You don't have to convince me that the 36 watt amp sounds great. But with 13 people in a band you have to put a line somewhere. In this setup the 18 watt works very good for me. Somethimes when the band is getting to hard I feel the need of of a litle bit more headroom but I don't like messing around with my amp on stage. We have a good sound engineer and he takes over when things are getting to loud on stage.

Kind regards

Henk
0 x

HBamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

36 Watt

Post by HBamp »

Hey Ritchie,

Here is some music!

Henk
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

yeah,the 18 can fit in fine in alot of situations..and will suprise people that its only 18 watts.

Nice clip,13 people in a band,the only thing bad about that is when it comes time to divide up the gig pay,or get everyone to band practice at the same time..lol

I like all kinds of music,and i think you can learn something from all of it.
Some of Robin Trower songs,like "Day of the Eagle" was what Robin described as a soul horn vamp,he just done it on guitar.
Gary Moores live blues video also had the horn section and hammond.
Although where i live most people think its all country music,but there is a huge range of music here,you name it,its here.And some really great musicians.
Do you have a site with the band info etc..?

Richie
0 x