EF86 Alternate for clean

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I'm still not so sure a 6SJ7 is what you're looking for, although it's a real nice sounding tube IMO. 6SJ7s are also often microphonic, just like EF86s, Also their tone is a little darker than an EF86's, which is something I happen to like, but may not be what you want.....

There are several other options for low microphony which have already been mentioned by various people.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

guiltless
Unrated

Post by guiltless »

Sweet. Just the sort if feedback I have been looking for. So it sounds like the 6sj7 may not be a good option for me. I definitely love the dark sound but I am looking for that vox tone from this specific amp.

So here is the next question. How difficult is it to switch from an ef86 style circuit to a cascoded style?

I may just start simple with a well shock mounted Tung Sol ef806s, then try the 5693 or 5879 if that doesn't hold up well, and then ultimately move to the cascoded style circuit if those don't seem to hold up.
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

LooseChange wrote:
kleuck wrote:You can try a cascode with a double-triode, 12AT7 or 12AY7, and get same gain, same sound, but much more reliable.
I'd like to see that circuit. Thanks!
http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/cascode.html
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

We built an Absolute Minimum 18 watt ... 6SJ7 preamp , 5751 PI an two 6V6s... Sounds "Killer" , No microphonics or troubles at all , been gigged with a lot now ... 6SJ7 shown in the schematic http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... ic&t=20043
http://www.18watt.com/files/mini-min18w_142.jpg
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

I have a particular liking for amps with EF86 front end, and I have a lot of them. I find the old Tesla EF806S superior to anything for robustness, closely followed by Philips E80F, which give a slightly more open sound.

If you're going with the cascode route there is one valve that is superior in this application, the ECC8100. Yes, it is a rocking horse dropping, purpose designed by Telefunken - but if you can find a pair ...
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

dotfret wrote:a rocking horse dropping
Is that some sort of British-ism for "rare?" :lol:
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

krx wrote:
dotfret wrote:a rocking horse dropping
Is that some sort of British-ism for "rare?" :lol:
Well, it's the polite version - can you get rocking horse $ht easily where you are? You can sell it to Marie Osmond, she needs some to fertilise the Paper Roses ...
0 x