Speaker Re-Cone?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Actually, a recone would work out to roughly around half the price of a new V30 or G12H at current UK prices
dgriff wrote:Hi, I have a Vintage 30 which needs a recone. If a 1777 cone was to be used, would it tame the icepickness, or just throw everything else out of balance?
It would indeed tame the icepickyness, and actually in effect give you a G12H-30, since the V30 has the same magnet size as G12H IIRC.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Jaicen
Unrated

Post by Jaicen »

Don't they have different voice coils as well though?
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Jaicen wrote:Don't they have different voice coils as well though?
When you replace the cone, you also replace the voice coil.
0 x

dgriff

Post by dgriff »

Cheers ZP, that was what I was hoping to hear. I had a quote a while back form www.audioloudspeakers.co.uk, which I believe has something to do with Tayden, for £25 + tax+ shipping which works out at about half the price of a new one.
0 x

titanicslim
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by titanicslim »

Has anybody used medical gauze? That's the only patching material I've tried, and it works pretty well. I keep it in the shop to reinforce inside the f-holes on my archtops. The individual fibers are quite strong and it requires less glue to saturate it, thereby (this is to my intuition, mind you) potentially having less tendency to slow or damp the repaired cone's movement.

To wet it out, I use this hi-tech miracle adhesive called Elmer's Craft Bond Tacky Glue. :wink:

Good luck!
Dave
0 x
A brain weight of nine hundred grams is adequate as an optimum for human behavior. Anything more is employed in the commission of misdeeds. -Hooton

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

krx wrote:
dgriff wrote:Hi, I have a Vintage 30 which needs a recone. If a 1777 cone was to be used, would it tame the icepickness, or just throw everything else out of balance?
You'll probably pay as much for a recone as you would a new speaker. Best bet is to sell the busted one for $20 or whatever and buy a new one.
New Celestions sell for around £80+ in the UK, Paul at Wembley Loudspeakers charges £42 including tax for a 12" Celestion recone, new coil, basket etc. everything is new except the frame and magnet. Go figure.
He has been able to recone every speaker I have ever taken in, except one which had a rusty, corroded magnet housing. I now use that frame for marking out speaker fixings and cut outs.
Steve UK
www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

Jaicen
Unrated

Post by Jaicen »

That's good to hear some positive feedback, as I was planning to go to Wembley. However, in the meantime I figured i'd give the repair a try, with fairly positive results. I used thin toilet tissue and contact adhesive. After testing it sounds like it works fine, but it's not in a combo or anything, so i'll reserve judgement till I can really crank it up.
0 x