Russian 6N2P-EV

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

Andrea03
Unrated

Russian 6N2P-EV

Post by Andrea03 »

Hi just brought a quad of these valves for very cheap at this link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Russian-6N2P-EV-E ... 2eab478cc0

They should be going into my Marshall 18wtmb however they are not direct replacement for a 12ax7. They supply a wiring diagram on how to supposedly easily change the pin configuration.

However I'm relatively new to amp building can anyone walk through how to do it?
0 x

goattech

Post by goattech »

it looks like instead of using pin 9 as a heater supply you simply wire 4and5 whereas a 12ax7 used 4,5 and 9 . the diagram shows the new tubes pin nine as a ground or unused.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Like this :
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

I have built a small low wattage amp which uses this preamp valve. It sounds good and is robust. Wiring as previous message. Available from E European sources very cheaply. Even on Evil Bay.

Dd
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Thanks Dawg , that's good to hear of your success with this tube ...
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

just for the sake of clarity -

on a 12AX7 / ECC83, you wire one side of the heater supply to pins 4 and 5 in parallel, and the other side to pin 9.

On a 6n2p, you wire one side of the heater supply to pin 4, and the other side to pin 5 (the wire that went to pin 9 on the 12AX7).

There is an internal screen that connects to pin 9 of the 6n2p - connecting this to ground can improve hum, but is not essential for function.

Be aware that 6n2p draw a little more heater current (340mA) than a 12AX7 (300mA), and the 6n2p-ev often draw another 20mA.
Most power supplies are sufficiently over-rated to supply the extra, but sometimes you get a "dry thin" sound because the power transformer is not up to supplying the extra current.
0 x

teletroy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by teletroy »

for some options you can wire up your socket on a switch to be able to go back and forth between 12ax7s and 6n2ps- I used to have a schematic but can't find it. google it, it will pop up I'm sure.
0 x