Real Funky Cabinet!

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

alonso

Real Funky Cabinet!

Post by alonso »

I can get my hands on this peice of wood. By beveling about 1/8th of an inch on the extremity, I could put a 12 inch speaker in there.....
Its heavy wood, made with several peices of wood for the body and two "covers".
With a nice paint job and grill, I think it would be way cool.
Now the thing is, how do you think this will sound? I know cabinets are responsible for some low end. Its vented, so that works I guess for certain speakers.
Is this doable, or will it just not work tonewise?
:D

0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

i would think it would be seriously lacking in bass, due to it not having any enclosure volume. what the heck was it? if it's free, why not. it would be a better housing for a hifi tweeter or upper midrange driver, i say
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

It is a pretty cool construction ... More like speaker sculpture.. May start a new trend ... Donut cabs ... :wink: 8)
0 x

alonso

Post by alonso »

:lol:
Ya its pretty isn't it?...
I work on movie sets and this was in one of the pawnshop decors. Yes I can have it for free.
Im thinking if I put a nice heavy peice of metal under the bottom part to give it some weight, it might have interesting tone in the low mids/mids. I will have to see how that sounds.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Pawnshop decor ??? looks like it belongs in a Foundry ... hahahaha :lol:
8) Art deco Industrial look ... all you need is wings on it !! :o 8) 8) 8)
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

My main concern isn't the lack of an enclosure (acoustically a cabinet with a big open back might as well not be in an enclosure) but rather the lack of a baffle. This will hurt the volume and harmonic content somewhat. It still might sound good though.

Since there's no enclosure really, I would look for a speaker with a QTS > 0.7 (check the spec sheets). That puts you into vintage American/Jensen speaker territory.

The fact that it's a dead enclosure could actually make it great as a hi-fi speaker. You can find some cool 12" full-range drivers at commonsenseaudio.com. That would be a sweet looking stereo setup if you had two of those.
0 x