Can I use any of these speakers with and 18 watt ?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

zappacat

Can I use any of these speakers with and 18 watt ?

Post by zappacat »

I'm getting parts together for my first build. Initially I was under the impression that I needed something in the 25 to 30 watt range. After reading through many posts concerning speakers I see that some people are using speakers in the 50 to 80 watt range and beyond with good results. What negative effects does a speaker with higher wattage have on the tone? I currently have the following speakers :

Eminence Red Coat Lady Luck 12" 70W 16 ohms
Eminence Patriot Screamin Eagle 12" 75W
Eminence Patriot Cannabis Rex 12" 50W with Hemp Cone
Celestion Vintage 30 (12 Inch, 60 Watts, 16 Ohms)

Can I use one of these speakers I already have? Which would be best suited for an 18 watt TMB with VVR ? Thanks in advance.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Generally speaking, higher wattage speakers are warmer and smoother in the mids than lower wattage speakers, but that's only with all other things being equal. They will also always be less efficient (i.e. less volume for the same power input) than a low-wattage speaker.

You could use any of those with an 18 TMB. I'd probably try the Rex first. Some people have really liked those in 18s, might be a little dark for cleans depending on your style. Not a lot of people like the V30 with an 18, but the TMB has a different mid response than a normal 18, so you might like it. The Eagle I've heard is very bright (never actually tried one though), so probably not the best choice. The Lady Lucks are kind of low-budget (less efficient, spiky response) but it might be cool depending on your style.
0 x

John_A
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by John_A »

Agree with everything krx has said, i'd try the rex first too, and I personally don't really care for vintage 30's, but a lot of people like them. Any of them would be more than OK for use with an 18W though!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Another vote here for the Cannabis Rex. :) It's a real efficient speaker too.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Eric
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Eric »

+ 1 .... I hear ya on the cannibis
0 x