Power Supply for 4 x EL84's in PPP

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

EDL
Unrated

Power Supply for 4 x EL84's in PPP

Post by EDL »

Hi all, I'm after a schematic for a power supply with a bridge rectifier and without a choke for a 4 x EL84 PPP power amp and a 2 x 12AX7 pre-amp. Something similar to the attachment if possible. I've made and amp with 2 x EL84's using a similar power supply and it is very successful. I just wanted to go the whole hog.
Any ideas?
Cheers,
EDL
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

If this is a "Marshall" 36W, you can follow the power supply design from any of the 36W amps in the Downloads section, but using SS diodes instead of the vacuum state rectifier. If it's some other type of 4X EL84 PP amp then it would need to be discussed elsewhere, such as PPwatt.com or AX84.com
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

You won't have enough current for 4 EL84s with that design. A bridge rectifier cuts your current capacity in half (remember Ohm's law). You should have at least 200mA available (250 would be better), so you'd need 400mA with a bridge rectifier.

ZP -- this question is certainly relevant to all the 36W builders whether it's an exact Marshall circuit or not.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I'm not yet convinced that it's important to all 36W builders, when there's a good working 36W power supply design already there. If it ain't broke why fix it? Now if there are some good reasons to fix it, then they certainly would be worth discussing, hopefully with some experienced 36W builders involved....
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Well, there's the GDS 36W PT. And what else? Options are good to have.

Here's a couple good ones around $60:

http://edcorusa.com/Products/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=638 (tube recto)

http://edcorusa.com/Products/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=646 (solid state)
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

OK, now we're talking about the transformers. :) I agree, let's find some more options. Obviously, one could always use AC30 PTs. And I'm pretty sure Heyboer does 36W PTs other than for GDS. The prices of those Edcor ones look pretty good too. :D
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

breakfastbuddy

250 ma PT ?

Post by breakfastbuddy »

250 ma PT ? thats way to much . how much power are you planning to take out of that amp ? ,25x 325 = 81watt ,
remember the bridge the bridge also rise the voltage , even if the current capasity goes a little down
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: 250 ma PT ?

Post by krx »

breakfastbuddy wrote:250 ma PT ? thats way to much . how much power are you planning to take out of that amp ? ,25x 325 = 81watt ,
remember the bridge the bridge also rise the voltage , even if the current capasity goes a little down
No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. The transformers I suggested were for use with a normal full-wave rectifier, not a bridge rectifier. And yes, you DO need 250mA of current capacity for 4 EL84s. Each EL84 can draw 50+mA, then you need some extra for your preamp. 200 would be okay, too. If you use a bridge rectifier you actually need to DOUBLE the current of your PT since it is only providing half the voltage (Ohm's law).

You can't simply divide your output power by the voltage to get the current. That would assume the circuit is 100% efficient, which is far from true.
0 x

57chevy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by 57chevy »

EDL's schematic specified a HT winding rated at 280VAC and 310ma and no CT. A bridge recto will put out 1.414 x 280 unloaded B+ and the PT can supply 310ma. That's more than enough juice for a 4XEL84 amp.

The only time you have to consider double voltage or half current is when you're comparing a FWB to a conventional FW recto and both are using the same PT.

EDL's schematic is fine for his purpose as it is.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

57chevy wrote:EDL's schematic specified a HT winding rated at 280VAC and 310ma and no CT. A bridge recto will put out 1.414 x 280 unloaded B+ and the PT can supply 310ma. That's more than enough juice for a 4XEL84 amp.

The only time you have to consider double voltage or half current is when you're comparing a FWB to a conventional FW recto and both are using the same PT.

Wrong. You will only get 0.62 times the given current capacity when using a full-wave bridge with capacitor input. You cannot increase voltage without decreasing current (ok, it's not exactly half in this case -- that was an approximation). Anyways, 310ma * 0.62 = 192mA. That might be okay but it's borderline unless you know your PT specs are understated.

Design guide here: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c007.pdf
0 x

EDL
Unrated

You're raising a few more questions for me guys . . . . .

Post by EDL »

krx wrote:
57chevy wrote:EDL's schematic specified a HT winding rated at 280VAC and 310ma and no CT. A bridge recto will put out 1.414 x 280 unloaded B+ and the PT can supply 310ma. That's more than enough juice for a 4XEL84 amp.

Wrong. You will only get 0.62 times the given current capacity when using a full-wave bridge with capacitor input. You cannot increase voltage without decreasing current (ok, it's not exactly half in this case -- that was an approximation). Anyways, 310ma * 0.62 = 192mA. That might be okay but it's borderline unless you know your PT specs are understated.

Design guide here: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c007.pdf
Thanks for the banter over my intended 4 x EL84 PPP PS design.

I've attached the design of the PS currently running in my 2 x EL84 Amp - it works fine. I just thought I'd throw in an extra 65mA each for the 2 extra EL84's - the pre-amp will remain the same - 1 x 12AU7 & 1 x 12AX7.

Would I be better off going for a center-tapped PT? I have my PT's custom made anyway. If so, please indicate the Secondary V and mA I should be looking to achieve for 4 x EL84 plus about 50mA for the pre-amp.

You may even like to suggest a better PS configuration for my 2 x EL84 Amp - maybe I'm doing it all wrong power supply-wise.

Thanks guys.
0 x

EDL
Unrated

Post by EDL »

Hi 57chevy, please check out my last post - cheers - EDL
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

I have a parts customer who intends to build an 18/36W with an EZ81 valve rectifier, switching over to diodes for 36W operation.
Now there is an interesting concept 8)

Steve UK
www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Re: You're raising a few more questions for me guys . . . .

Post by rock_mumbles »

EDL wrote:...Would I be better off going for a center-tapped PT? I have my PT's custom made anyway. If so, please indicate the Secondary V and mA I should be looking to achieve for 4 x EL84 plus about 50mA for the pre-amp.

You may even like to suggest a better PS configuration for my 2 x EL84 Amp - maybe I'm doing it all wrong power supply-wise.

Thanks guys.
You would be better off with a CT PT. A 290-0-290 volt @ 250-300mA transformer with a full wave rectifier will put 580V to the rectifier and the rectified no load voltage is 0.7 X HV so you would have about 400VDC at full current 250-300mA (good EL84 voltages for using a tube rectifier). Since you are using diodes (ss) you would probably be better off use a lower voltage transformer like the Edcor krx referred to above...

If you are using a non center-tapped PT you need 400mA... 400mA x .62 = 248mA
0 x

breakfastbuddy

bridge rectifier vs full wave rectifier

Post by breakfastbuddy »

you power output is the same what ever you chose , goes voltage up the current will decrease , i think KRX mixes things together . every el 84 tube has a max output of 12watt , so max output is 48watt at most . with 48ma each that is 192 ma and the voltage is 250vdc this is 177vac , so thats not for real . can some one else with more knowledge pitch in here ,
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: bridge rectifier vs full wave rectifier

Post by krx »

breakfastbuddy wrote:you power output is the same what ever you chose , goes voltage up the current will decrease , i think KRX mixes things together . every el 84 tube has a max output of 12watt , so max output is 48watt at most . with 48ma each that is 192 ma and the voltage is 250vdc this is 177vac , so thats not for real . can some one else with more knowledge pitch in here ,
I'm not mixing anything up. Also, the 12 Watts is the dissipation of the plates. It's related to the power output but is not the same thing.
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

I'm not sure to understand the Hammond PDF, but i'm sure that two diodes/tapped PT or Graez's bridge are strictly equivalent electronically speaking.
They provide the same current and the same voltage (neglecting the doubled voltage drop in the diodes), so the "V (Avg) D.C. = 0.45 X Sec. V A.C." is as weird as is the "I D.C. = 0.62 X Sec. I A.C." in the PDF.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

kleuck wrote:I'm not sure to understand the Hammond PDF, but i'm sure that two diodes/tapped PT or Graez's bridge are strictly equivalent electronically speaking.
They provide the same current and the same voltage (neglecting the doubled voltage drop in the diodes), so the "V (Avg) D.C. = 0.45 X Sec. V A.C." is as weird as is the "I D.C. = 0.62 X Sec. I A.C." in the PDF.
The PDF is correct. Read it more carefully -- look at the labels on the diagrams.
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

I suppose i don't understand the PDF ; but i'm sure that a 2*280 volts / 80VA pt will give exactly the same output voltage and current than a 1*280 volts 80VA one with a bridge.
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

Assume we have a capacitor input load...
from the Hammond pdf:

FULLWAVE BRIDGE Capacitor Input Load (non-center tapped PT)
V (Peak) D.C. = 1.41 X Sec. V A.C.
V (Avg) D.C. = 0.90 X Sec. V A.C.
I D.C. = 0.62 X Sec. I A.C.

FULLWAVE Capacitor Input Load (center tapped PT)
V (Peak) D.C. = 0.71 X Sec. V A.C.
V (Avg) D.C. = 0.45 X Sec. V A.C.
I D.C. = 1.00 X Sec. I A.C.

So for a non center tapped PT with 290V and 300mA and a bridge rectifier let's do the math:
V (Peak) DC = 290V X 1.41 = ~409V DC
V (Avg) DC = 290V X 0.90 = 261V DC
I DC = 300mA X 0.62 = 186mA
(since the voltage is increased the current is decreased)

and for the center tapped 290V - 0 - 290V @ 300mA PT
V (Peak) DC = (290V X 2) X 0.71 = ~409V DC
V (Avg) DC = (290V X 2) X 0.45 = 261V DC
I DC = 300mA X 1.00 = 300mA
(since there is a voltage drop there is no current drop)

So the voltages are for all practical purposes the same, but the HV current available with the CT'd PT and full wave rectifier is 38% greater that with the non-center tapped PT and bridge rectifier.
0 x