Diagonal vs. horizontal 2x12

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Cole

Diagonal vs. horizontal 2x12

Post by Cole »

What are the differences in sound between a quality made fingerjointed birch diagonal cab and its horizontal counterpart? Same dimensions

Cheers :)
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

At first glance, I thought this might be a trick question or just a troll, but I guess you must be serious. I don't think there is a real answer to the question because so much goes into what you hear: the room dimensions, cab placement (on the floor or raised; distance from floor, walls, ceiling; tilted or not), materials in the room -- carpet, wood, wall paper, drapes on walls, windows, tables, people, fixed objects (like a bar), etc. IMO, whether it's up and down or sideways is the least of the factors and won't really make much difference. If you put it sideways on a carpeted floor, that will surely eat some of the output and the same is true if you put it upright and face it into a corner.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

I may have misread your question, though my earlier comments still stand. You are asking about the placement in the baffle. This isn't something on which I have much expertise, but my limited fooling around with speaker building (for guitar amps) suggests to me that it doesn't matter that much. I think you are talking about fairly limited distances in terms of placement in the baffle. IMO, other factors like interior volume, whether there is a port, etc., are likely to have a much more pronounced effect.
0 x

scottva59

Post by scottva59 »

I like the way my 2x12 vertical slant angles the top speaker to my ear while standing a few feet away.
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

If you had one of each on stage and switched from one to the other between songs I doubt anyone [who isn't sound-obsessed] would notice. Many other variables (noted by Phil_S) have a much greater effect.

KennyO
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Diagonal you might get a little more monitoring out of than horizontal on the floor, otherwise no appreciable difference if the volume of the cab is the same. Personally, I would go for a straight cab that could be turned vertical or horizontal depending on the situation. Actually, I would just go for a single driver in a well-designed cabinet. No need for two unless you want to use low-powered speakers with a high-powered amp. Contrary to popular belief, more speakers don't make you louder.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

krx wrote: Contrary to popular belief, more speakers don't make you louder.
Very true. However, more speakers can focus the sound in various ways, which may be beneficial - or sometimes not. :) In theory at least, a pair of speakers in a cab mounted vertically above and below each other, will tend to spread the sound in a flattish arc across the stage area. Whereas, turned on its side, the same cab will tend to spread the sound in a thinnish vertical arc. Along the same lines, a 4X12 will tend to push the sound out in a straight beam, so that to anyone standing directly in front of the cab, it would give the impression of being louder.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Cole

Post by Cole »

Thank you for the replies, but I've made a mistake in the first post.

Regarding the two cabs I meant:
1. cab, horizontal 2x12 e.g. marshall 1936
2. cab, diagonal 2x12 e.g. marshall 2061cx

The "same dimensions" part is my huge fault, sorry. :oops:
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

The principles in my last post still apply, which means you would probably find a vertical 2X12 is more useful - or a horizontal one stood up on one end. And a diagonal 2X12 will tend to send the sound out in a diagonally flattish arc.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

SkynyrdSurvivor

Post by SkynyrdSurvivor »

But if you had two diagonal 2x12 cabinets you could have a nice looking short stack.

Could be pretty neat.
0 x