Celestion speaker advice for Pink Floyd sound?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

rob11966
Unrated

Re: Found a nice link for more info on David's Setup

Post by rob11966 »

zaphod_phil wrote:
That's a great link. Thanks for sharing it. My one comment is that in the article I think they're somewhat overemphasizing the clean Hiwatt amp story, as a lot of folks do. Dave Gilmour has the 12AT7 PI tube of his early 70s Hiwatts swapped out for a 12AX7, which makes the amp breakup sooner. BTW this is also the casse with Pete Townshend's CP103s. So DG's pedal distortion is also mixed with some natural tube amp breakup. The edgy breakup of an 18W Marwatt amp actually isn't too far off the edgy distortion of a Hiwatt.
So do you think that the 18W breakup sound will be lost or attenuated by using a 150W rated Eminence instead of a 30W Celestion? I would have thought that some of this sound was due to the speaker (as well as amp) breakup/distortion?

Cheers,

Rob
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

The Marshall vibe will still come through even without the speaker breakup happening. It's a similar idea to the way that many of the southern rock bands ran their Marshalls through JBL speakers, which also don't breakup much.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

zaphod_phil wrote:... through JBL speakers, which also don't breakup much.
Y'know, you can take understatement to the extreme.

KennyO
0 x

kyoungsteadt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kyoungsteadt »

Randy Rhoads used Altec speakers with his Marshalls and Zak Wylde has used EV12L. Marshall tone, cleaner speakers.

These guys make really nice speakers:

http://warehousespeakers.com/

I'm a big fan of the British Lead 80.
0 x

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by njkmonty »

yep that was me, gabis speakers with the strong dollar are pretty cheap!

http://www.gabkits.com/celestion-speakers

you have to log in or something if i remember to get the cheap price, when i bought mine you didnt have to!
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

zaphod_phil wrote:The Marshall vibe will still come through even without the speaker breakup happening. It's a similar idea to the way that many of the southern rock bands ran their Marshalls through JBL speakers, which also don't breakup much.
I would be careful about getting too bright and fizzy with an 18 and really clean speakers (especially JBLs), but it can definitely work with the right amp.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

The vintage Fane Purples I've heard have a dark smoothness in the high end, which beautifully balances the bright edginess of Hiwatt amps. So hopefully the same should apply with an 18W-based amp and the GL Super V12s....
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp