Advice on baffle attachment - Screw or glue and screw?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

rob11966
Unrated

Advice on baffle attachment - Screw or glue and screw?

Post by rob11966 »

Hi Folks,

When attaching the baffle to the cabinet, do you screw, or glue and screw to the baffle frame?

Obviously the glue and screw will be stronger (and perhaps less chance of vibration) but if glued and screwed, the baffle cannot be removed if the grill cloth needs to be replaced.

Speaker is back mounted with T-nuts so speaker replacement is not an issue irrespective of baffle attachment.

Rob
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

used to use wood screws, though I have started mounting T nuts into the baffle which makes for a superb job.

Dont glue it in....
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

Most cabinets are built with removable baffles unless you have a separate grill cloth frame and then it is totally up to you. A butt joint cabinet will benefit from a glued in baffle as the cabinet is stronger and can stand up to more abuse. If you use finger or dovetail joints it can help stiffen the cabinet but depends on what your overall tone objective is.

For all DST and Swanson cabinets we use a screw in baffle other then bass or WEM cabinets (of course some customers request it and then so be it). For bass I like the added stiffness of a very tight fit baffle that is then glued in. For every 18 watt combo/ext cabinet I can think of they are all screwed in place. It seems to benifit from a lively baffle.
Last edited by SpentMusic on Wed 06/23/10 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

Well, it is best to leave a method of service. In practical terms, that means either the baffle or the back needs to be screw mounted. Conventional wisdom says do the baffle with screws. If you are concerned about vibration noise, use some very thin weatherstripping type material, but you shouldn't need it in a properly crafted box.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

We build our cabs with the baffle board fitting into a dado slot and glued solid with the rest of the cab .... BUT we always use a separate grill cloth frame ... Very STRONG , easy to repair/replace speakers or grill...
0 x

rob11966
Unrated

Post by rob11966 »

Hi Folks,

In the end I attached the baffle with 6M screw inserts. I used 12 of them altogether. The baffle is very very securely fastened to the cleats with no vibration whatsoever. In the unlikely event that I have to completely remove the baffle it is easily done.

Rob
0 x