Different use for second channel

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

wiseowl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Different use for second channel

Post by wiseowl »

Hi,

I'm wondering if it would be practical to use a second channel for a microphone input, in effect making the amp dual use. ie One channel for guitar and one for a PA. I realise this is not ideal but would be handy for use in practise sessions.

In some ways it's as much a learning exercise as anything else.

Any thoughts?

Martin
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Sure, you could do it. It won't sound very good (poor frequency response, distortion, feedback, etc.) or get very loud though. If you want to try it out, you can buy an impedance transformer to plug your mic in to the 1/4" input. It needs to be a transformer, not just an adapter.

I would not expect it to be loud enough to practice with a drummer.
0 x

wiseowl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by wiseowl »

Thanks, I have a transformer but figured there would be more to it than just using a similar pre-amp and putting it between the jack and the first input stage. I was considering a properly designed mic pre-amp into the usual power stage of a 36 watt.

Although if you don't think that would be loud enough to work with a drummer then it's probably not worth the effort.

Thanks

Martin
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

To really test it out, I'd try putting a 12AU7 in your first preamp spot and using your mic transformer to plug your mic in. That should give you a rough idea of how loud it will get and how it will sound if you were to design a special input stage for a mic.
0 x