Does anyone know about these ZAERIX 12AX7 (ECC83)

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil

lespaulblues

Does anyone know about these ZAERIX 12AX7 (ECC83)

Post by lespaulblues »

Hi,
I bought a couple of these cheap on ebay ZAEUX 12AX7 (ECC83), they sound good to me but
i don't know anything about them.
Can anyone help.
Thanks.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Zaerix was a relabelling company in the UK. A lot of their tubes were actually Russian made - so they may be equivalent to Sovteks . If you post pictures, someone may be able to identify them further.
0 x

MilesPlatting
Unrated

Post by MilesPlatting »

Zaerix also supplied the British military, white box stuff. They bought in from Phillips, Mullard etc. The only way to tell what you've got is to compare the specs of each valve. You could have really fallen on your feet - or not. Like zaphod said, post some pics.

If it sounds good - it sounds good!
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

When you are talking Zaerix ecc83, they are often Philips/Mullard - they were actually the cheapest brand to relabel!

Look for the philips "etched" codes near the base - I6 is the usual identifier.
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

Talking Zaerix, my old Dad was radio ham from the days of cat's whickers right up until computer aided sending. But most of the time was spent with valves. he swore by Zaerix as a good source of high quality low priced valves.

So when I saw a pair of EL84s on ebay I bid and got them for two buttons each. Just gave them a good work out and am very pleased even if they have seen a previous use which means I have no idea how long they will last.

So at the moment I have five UK "rebadge" valves in my 18 watt. Three NOS Trigon ECC83s which I believe were made in GDR. The Zaerix EL84s which I was expecting to be from GDR, look identical in build to the two JJs I removed. I cannot see any difference. There are some small smudges near the base but I cannot make them out.

I am delighted with the Trigons which have great lively sound. The Zaerix valves have less hard edge than the JJs but sound very similar which is not surprising I guess.

Dd
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

If they say Zaerix but look like the JJs, right down to the getter, they are probably original Tesla! If they have ring getters I'd suspect they are RFT.
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

They are identical in every visible way to the JJs. They sound great and are my first choice in the 18 watt output stage. Bargain of the year for me.

Dd
0 x

blaren
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by blaren »

Photos will decide.
As was mentioned, Zaerix relabelled tubes. I have a bunch. Some are RFTs, some are mules, some are...ah heck..I can't remember the name tungsram??? WOW..I'm blanking. It's been a while.
Anyway...
Chances are that these are NOT Sovtek or JJ tubes. I'd bet thhat they are RFT, Philips, or tungsram or whatever they're called.

I'll tell you what...I'll make you a WICKED deal. I'll pay all the shipping and I'll send you a brand spanking new pair of ECC83/12AX7 JJs, Sovteks, EH...I'd even trade a pair of Brimars for them...or any US tubes (RCA, Sly, GE...) for your pair of Zaerix labelled tubes.
I'd take that gamble ALL day.
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

I have sat staring at a modern JJ beside both of the Zaerix. There is no visible difference internally. They are certainly nothing like my Sovtek, Brimar, Mullard examples. There is no part that resembles a Sovtek. I do not have any of the other makes you listed to compare.

But in any case they make a noise I like so are staying where they are. If they are out at any point I will photograph and post.

And one last thought, these work well with the rebadged ECC83s which I think are Tungsram. Do some preamp and power valves make magic together, more so than other combinations?

Dd
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

Like I said before - If they say Zaerix but look like the JJs, right down to the getter, they are probably original Tesla.

The getter is the give-away - only Tesla and JJ use that "big dish" getter, although there have been some Tesla e83cc forgeries that used it (suspected of being made by Ei, although it is very likely that Ei produced them innocently).
0 x