EF86 voicing

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

George60

EF86 voicing

Post by George60 »

I completed a Ceriatone 36W EF86 kit about a week ago. Everything in the amp is stock. I really like the tmb channel.

The EF86 channel is interesting. It is hotter and has more crunch than the tmb channel but it is also brighter. I can get a sound on the EF86 channel that I like by turning the tone on the guitar down quite a bit but I would like to be able to switch between the two channels (A/B box) and not have to mess with the guitar. For reference; I am using a Jackson Dinky guitar with moderate output, alnico magnet, humbucker pickups and the tmb channel is set to bass 2, middle 2, and treble 8. The feedback switch is off. I am using a Tung-Sol EF806 tube. I have no complaints about the EF86 channel tone control, which I am assuming only cuts bass. It has a very useful range.

How can I re-voice the EF86 channel so that it has less high end? It certainly appears that if I can get the EF86 channel voiced to my liking it will be the cat's meow.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies,
George
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Remove the 180pf capacitor on the EF86 volume pot. It will sound MUCH better (i.e. less trebly) without it if you play louder than bedroom volume. Get your clean tones by rolling back the volume on the guitar and you'll still get plenty of sparkle. If you want less gain, these are my two recommendations:

For less gain but a similar tone:
screen 2M2
plate 220k
cathode 2k7

For less gain and a darker tone:
screen 1M
plate 220k
cathode 1k5
0 x