Eminence speaker to tame high end?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

bigbeck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Eminence speaker to tame high end?

Post by bigbeck »

I'd like suggestions for an inexpensive 12" speaker for an overly bright amp. Maybe something from the Eminence line. I've used WGS Veteran 30 speakers which are too bright for this amp.

Thanks
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Try the Cannabis Rex.

IMO V30s are just too bright for EL84 amps.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

Yes, i have the 10" model, the Lil'Buddy, and it's a perfect speaker to tame a bright amp, and a very good and efficient one, huge sound.
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Big , why not just roll off some of the highs with your guitars Tone control ... ??? I kinda' prefer bright amps as compared to too bassy ones which don't "cut" through the mix ... but then again , I'm playing with 6 other people competing for the same sonic space...
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

Big , why not just roll off some of the highs with your guitars Tone control ... ???
Not the same result if you're pushing the amp, it can be dull and harsh at the same time (i understand what you mean, but you need a more or less balanced amp to efficiently use your tone control, if the amp is really too bright, i won't be that useful)
But my amp is still bright with the emi, and aggressive if you want it to be, just not too ear piercing (but you still can do the Albert Collins thing haha) they advertise this speaker as a blues/jazz one, crap, in a EL84 PP without CR it rock's too.
Depends on the amp obviously i suppose, mine is not a true 18 watter (concertina Pi) but i modded the power stage itself to match the 1974x the best i could, and everybody tries to borrow it, so i suppose the end result is not too bad.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I kinda' prefer bright amps as compared to too bassy ones which don't "cut" through the mix ...
The trick is to have less bass, not more highs. With the extended high frequencies, you're then just fighting the cymbals and hi-hats.
0 x

bigbeck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by bigbeck »

kleuck wrote:
Big , why not just roll off some of the highs with your guitars Tone control ... ???
Not the same result if you're pushing the amp, it can be dull and harsh at the same time (
That's why,Geezer. :wink:

This overly bright amp is a SE KT88 build. I replaced the Tweed tone control with another single knob control from the Gibson "Gold Tone" GA-15RV amp. This helped a great deal at low to moderate volumes.

oops... Can't talk about this amp here but we can talk about bright speakers. :wink:
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

No , not unless they're Marshall 18 watt speakers... 8O ... hahaha

Ok, I see your point ... too bright is TOO BRIGHT ... But isn't that an amp voicing decision??? We've built a lot of amps that we play through the same speakers (not all at once :lol: ) If they don't sound right ,we change a few 15 cent parts instead of a hundred dollar (or more ) speaker ...I'dunno' , maybe my logic is faulty ... :oops:
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Big , if you are in need of a speaker , I have a spare 75 watt Eminence, the same kind Vinney has in the PEX cabinet... and Loves the sound of ...Not quite as bright as other speakers ... I can send it to you to check out ... No problem !!! :wink:
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Ok, I see your point ... too bright is TOO BRIGHT ... But isn't that an amp voicing decision???
The three biggest factors that control the voicing are the speaker, OT and tubes. If you're using EL84s, you've already got a bright amp. That leaves the OT and speaker(s). An inexpensive Hammond 125E OT can help roll off some bass and give better cut through. Then you chose your speaker to taste.
0 x

bigbeck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by bigbeck »

StarGeezers wrote:Big , if you are in need of a speaker , I have a spare 75 watt Eminence, the same kind Vinney has in the PEX cabinet... and Loves the sound of ...Not quite as bright as other speakers ... I can send it to you to check out ... No problem !!! :wink:
Thanks for the offer Geezer. What model is it? Is it 8 ohms?
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Eminence 75W 8 ohm ... was an OEM replacement ... only played in church by a little old lady on Sundays ... :roll: :lol: :P
Perfect in the PEX cab ... :wink:
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

:rol:
I have a spare 75 watt Eminence, the same kind Vinney has in the PEX cabinet... and Loves the sound of ...
Is that Vinney the Shark or is it Scarface Vinney, who whacked Luigi Gioglione last year? Big Joe Carponi's been looking for him, so he better stay low for a while with his 75W Eminence speaker.
0 x

bigbeck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by bigbeck »

It may be Crab Trap Vinney that he's talking about. I wouldn't count on the speaker to stop any bullets,though. :lol:
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

itsa' Vinney Paisan ... from the house of pasta and noodles ... Actually , his family , pasta makers based in the French Quarter , saved my life when I was a young and starving Artist ... They gave me a HUGE box of all kinds of pasta , which I lived off of for months ... Think things are tough now , try being an Artist ...where it'sa always Feast or a Famine ... :roll:

PS. Vinney likes 18 watt Marshalls too ... :wink:
0 x

StarGeezers
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by StarGeezers »

Big , did that speaker work ???
0 x

RossGym
Unrated

Re:

Post by RossGym »

zaphod_phil wrote:Try the Cannabis Rex.

IMO V30s are just too bright for EL84 amps.
+1 for sure.

Using one now in my Blue Junior, and it is a lovely speaker for the money. Really nice full presentation with absolutely no ice picks - not that it sounds wooly and without HF, it's just very good at keeping things in balance.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Eminence speaker to tame high end?

Post by JMPGuitars »

I'm interested in trying the C-Rex speakers also. I have a Tone Tubby that sounds awesome, and from what I've read, Tone Tubby makes/licenses the hemp cones in the C-Rex speakers.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yes, I believe it's true that Eminence buys the hemp cones from Brownsoun (Tone Tubby). Just be aware that C-Rex speakers are known for taking quite a lot of breaking in....
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Sun 03/24/13 11:02 am
Yes, I believe it's true that Eminence buys the hemp cones from Brownsoun (Tone Tubby). Just be aware that C-Rex speakers are known for taking quite a lot of breaking in....
I finally got around to trying a C-Rex. It sounded really good, but tossed 1000 ice picks in my ears. I don't know if that's relevant to break in or not, but it was definitely too bright for my amp.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale