4x10 Cabinet - Speaker Advice

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

rob500
Unrated

4x10 Cabinet - Speaker Advice

Post by rob500 »

I have a 4x10 open back cabinet that I'd like to use with my 18 watt GDS SC amp. Can anyone offer advice on speakers?

Thanks

Bob
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Tell us about what musical styles you're into, and what kind of budget you have.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

rob500
Unrated

Post by rob500 »

Thanks for the reply. I know I didn't give much info to start. I've been playing for a long time. Have several guitars, a LP, Strat and Tele. Play R&R from any era, 60's to recent. Whatever strikes me.

The cabinet was made by Avatar and currenly has Celestion G10 Vintage speakers in it. The sound is not impressive. It's loud - but kinda dull. I was hoping to make it a little sweeter. I have to run the tone control on the amp at 9 - 10. The speakers were broken in for 30+ hours continuously with a 60 cycle signal plus playing time since then.

I've thought I'm not pushing the speakers hard enough. Maybe the cabinet is too big. I'd like to avoid too much experimentation. That tends to get expensive. That's why I've come here first.

I like the amp, I'd just like a little more dynamic range.

Thanks

Bob
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

If you've got the budget, I can tell you from first-hand experience that a quad of 10" Tone Tubby alnico speakers sounds pretty sweet. Celestion's 10" Gold Alnicos are also said to sound pretty good, but I've never experienced them in real life.

Also check out Eminence's 10" speakers. There's a 10" alnico Red Fang, as well as the Hemp Cone Lil' Buddies. Combining a pair of each should yield a pretty sweet tone, with the brightness of the Fangs balancing the darker Lil' Buddies, and the compression of the Fangs being balanced by the punch of the Lil' Buddies. As an alternative to the Red Fangs, you could also use a pair of Ram Rods, which are basically like a 10" version of Celestion's Vintage 30. On their own they're probably going to be too bright for an 18W amp, but will be complimented nicely by the Lil' Buddies.

Another alternative is to run the cab as a Kevin O'Conner "detuned cab", with only two speakers installed, and the other two holes left open as ports. Some folks really like how those sound.
0 x

rob500
Unrated

Post by rob500 »

Thanks. I appreciate the information. I'll look into it. I was looking at the G10 Gold. Pretty pricey.

Bob
0 x

sub
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by sub »

Another alternative is to run the cab as a Kevin O'Conner "detuned cab", with only two speakers installed, and the other two holes left open as ports. Some folks really like how those sound.
I think this isn't working on a open back cab.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

The Warehouse 10" Veteran is a great speaker, cheap too!

I also really like the Fender 10" Blue Alnico, which is a vintage Bassman-esque speaker.

Both of these share a seamed paper cone which has a nice balance and great (but not too much) breakup.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

I think this isn't working on a open back cab.
Yep, can't 'detune' an open-back.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Open back? Who said anything about open back? Oh darn, that will teach me about not actually reading the question, before I reply. 8O :oops: :x :lol:
I'll look into it. I was looking at the G10 Gold. Pretty pricey.
Yes, especially when you have to pay for four at once. Probably Eminence is going to be your best bet then.
0 x

Pressed_Rat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Pressed_Rat »

Eminence makes a great 10" speaker for around $50 - the Legend 105. It is advertised as a replacement for vintage alnicos and I find that to be pretty accurate. I used them in a 2 x 10" tweed style cab driven by a 5F6-A clone. Sounded very good, but loud. I think they'd be great in a 4 x 10" open back cab.

If you're into death metal these aren't the speakers to use, but then you wouldn't be looking at an 18 watt with an open back either.... Great for blues, and rock.
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

Pressed_Rat wrote:
Eminence makes a great 10" speaker for around $50 - the Legend 105. It is advertised as a replacement for vintage alnicos and I find that to be pretty accurate. I used them in a 2 x 10" tweed style cab driven by a 5F6-A clone. Sounded very good, but loud. I think they'd be great in a 4 x 10" open back cab.

If you're into death metal these aren't the speakers to use, but then you wouldn't be looking at an 18 watt with an open back either.... Great for blues, and rock.
I agree that the Legend 105 is one of the nicest balanced sounding 10's I've played with ...
I like it better than my $100 W3b3r 30W alnico Blue pup, I'm sure hoping I can find a cabinet that it works in ...
I have a 10" Greenback and a 10" G10-V ? some amps sound good with the celestion 10"s other not so good ...
I like the Eminence Legend 1028K a bit better than the 105 but it's about 1 1/2 times the price and a 15W speaker ... the 105 and 1028K have the same cone.
Last edited by rock_mumbles on Mon 02/21/11 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I agree that the Legend 105 is one of the nicest balanced sounding 10's I've played with ... I like the Eminence Legend 1028K a bit better than the 105 but it's about 1 1/2 times the price and a 15W speaker ...
Are either of those speakers suited to a British style amp...?
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Are either of those speakers suited to a British style amp...?
the published frequency response curve of the Legend 105 is pretty close to the frequency response curve of a British speaker, it doesn't have the 1.5k dip like the 12" speakers but look at the Legend 105 compared to a Ramrod ...

http://rh-tech.org/public/other/Legend- ... Ramrod.png
0 x

rob500
Unrated

Post by rob500 »

I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. There is always an element of experimentation in this process. It's nice to have all the opinions.

Bob
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

rock_mumbles wrote:
the published frequency response curve of the Legend 105 is pretty close to the frequency response curve of a British speaker, it doesn't have the 1.5k dip like the 12" speakers but look at the Legend 105 compared to a Ramrod

http://rh-tech.org/public/other/Legend- ... Ramrod.png
That's amazing!
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

Well, i own both, and if the 105 s indeed a great (and cheap) speaker, it doesn't sound at all similar to the Ramrod.
The Ramrod has a British vibe where the 105 is pretty close to Jensen's sound (slightly more mids though, but same kind of stuff)
The Ramrod is also way louder.
Best couple i tried is the Lil'Buddy/Ramrod one as ZP said,it's really an awesome combination, full and articulate, and they are not expensive.
0 x