Eminence Wizard vs G12H Anniversary

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

reubster
Unrated

Eminence Wizard vs G12H Anniversary

Post by reubster »

Not much info on the Wizards here so I though I post my thoughts.

I've had a G12H anniversary in my 18watt TMB (1 x 12" combo open back) for a couple of years and love it. But I got that that nagging feeling that maybe I could get a better tone.

I play baritone guitars and hard rock/punk rock so a tough chuggin' bottom end is a requirement. I also need punch, aggression and efficiency

The Eminence Wizard seemed worth a try.

My impressions:
Wow, it really throws out the sound, it makes a 1 x 12" sound more like a 2 x 12"...I mean this in a 3 dimensional sound stage sense.

It's sound is definately in the greenback/G12H camp, particularly in the upper mids where you get that papercone smear/breakup.
But it is a more hifi speaker and does not add as much colouration to the overall sound that the G12 does.

More tops than the G12H, but the top end has a nice smear so it is not to brittle.

It is a tad louder than the G12H, but after spending much time with it I would say it seems louder because it has more mids & upper mids than the G12H

Bottom end is good, relatively strong and very clear, but to my ears the G12H sounds like it has more bass (actually less mids and tops).

What the Wizard doesn't have is that bass compression that G12H's have. The more you crank G12's the fatter (not louder) the bass gets.
IMO This is where their magic lies, even in the anniversary version.

After a few months, I tried the G12H again and for me it is the keeper.
This is mainly for it fat bass and wonderful colouration.

A couple of things to note re my findings:
The Wizard has a 70 watt rating so the 18 watter may not push it hard enough.
It was also not broken in.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Thanks for that great A/B test review! It confirmed a fw things I had suspected abut the Wizard. How about posting an update after the Wizard's been well and truly broken in?
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

I've always found the Wizard had a wicked peak in the midrange that was annoying. Starts around 2 K and just gets out of hand. My preference is the G12H Anniv anytime in an open back cabinet. Love that speaker.
0 x

breakfastbuddy

its no point

Post by breakfastbuddy »

to compare a not broken in speaker with otherspeakers , because it will have a sharp ice picky vibe to it . brake the speakers in by use half of the wattage from a transformer from mains with 50 or 60 hz
0 x

reubster
Unrated

Post by reubster »

Point taken re break in
That said, I've had lots of experience with speakers & their changes as they break in so, whilst they would no doubt improve and smooth out in response, the general I comments I made above would still stand.
I would agree with SM that it is a very dominant 2-3Khz peak.

I'd also tried a pair of wizards in my quad, cross patterned with 2 x GT75s.
I use a 50watt plexi with this set up.
Those 2-3Khz peaks still really dominated , interestingly, despite the lower efficiency, the bass from the GT75's seemed stronger.

Unfortunately, I sold the wizards not long after I put the G12H back,

There is plenty of love for the Wizards and I can see their potential, especially for higher gain amps (eg Mesa) that scoop mids to get the buzz out of their preamp stages, or for low powered clean amp applications.
But for 18 watters and plexis, (that have mids galore) to my ears they are not a good choice.
0 x