2 channel 4 el84 amp, useing both ots

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

2 channel 4 el84 amp, useing both ots

Post by menger »

iv got a rca power amp 2 channels 2 ots cathiod biased, can i use both ots for a 36watt build, i remember there was a guy awhile back that was gonna use 2 se ots combined for a 18 watt amp, iv no idea of specks of these ots although i dont think there 8k, most likely closer to delux iron 6.6K, i do have iron that is for 36 watters, but would like to save them, for a little nicer build than a conversion, is using both original ot a good idea, is it do-able? they are a tad smaller than true 18 watt iron, i was thinking something like a light basic pre amp cascade with just 1 input just a screamer, how would i hook up the ots? both primarys to pin 7 of the inner powertubes then run jumper wires out to outers? mark
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Never heard of doing that. I don't know if that makes sense since you'd have two secondaries (two primaries I'm okay with).
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

I've heard of connecting two identical output transformers in parallel, all primaries and secondaries are paralleled to double the power capacity ... with all primaries and secondaries paralleled the reflected impedance is the same ...
0 x

Cathode_Ray
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Cathode_Ray »

Had a Silvertone amp years ago that did this. I think it was a "Twin 12". Actually single 4 6L6 amp using 2 output trannys. Got it in pieces so don't recall if series or parallel though.
In mid 70's tubes were scarce and $$$ so I lost a lot of what would be valuable hardware.
0 x

p_christov

Post by p_christov »

The JTM45/100 has 2 OT's. I have seen the schematic with the OT's connected in parallel as rock_mumbles says.

Peter
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

I saw something like that silvertone described a while back, running a centre tap from the join on the o/p side. Looked like an ingenious solution to using up an old stock of transformers.
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

As stated already if you parallel all the wires of the two transformers you'll still get an 8k primary and would have to mismatch the speaker load to get the 4k a quad of EL84s want to see.

I'd like someone to confirm what I'm saying, but I'm pretty sure if you parallel the primaries but series the secondaries then you'll have 4k. Depends on what taps you have on these OTs and what you need for the speakers you've got.
0 x

p_christov

Post by p_christov »

Katopan,
It seems to me that it's the same case as in transformers with two secondaries that can be connected either in parallel or in series.
So if when connected in parallel you have 8K primary load, in series it must be 2K with the same speaker load.
But you can get 4K if you double the speaker impedance and connect the secondaries in series.
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

Thanks p_christov. Where's that head slap smiley? Of course connecting in series would give 1/4 the impedance rather than 1/2 for the same tap connection. So either way (secondary in parallel or series) you would need to mismatch the speaker load to the tap being used. You don't really gain anything by going series.
0 x