36W chassis in an 18W combo cab?

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

blaren
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

36W chassis in an 18W combo cab?

Post by blaren »

Wasnt sure where to post this. The 18W forum gets the most traffic but this is more of a 36W question...sort of...if this thread doesnt see much action I'll repost it in the 18W forum. Considered posting in the cabs forum too but...ANYWAY...

My back is pretty hooped. I WAS using my 18/36W into a 4-12...then a few years ago started using 2-12s.
I just recently got a nice wee 1-12 combo cab. I don't know who the builder is/was. I traded a 2-12 Avatar cab for it and the Avatar was quite a bit better built. I mean this thing isnt a homemade duct tape and lego job but not quite as crisp as the Avatar.

The plan was to put my 36W chassis into the 18W combo cab with an old G12-65. Wouldnt be TOO heavy and would reduce the number of pieces in my rig.
So with this combo (I assume they're normally like this), the chassis gets mounted to the top back cabinet cover. That "piece of wood" that the chassis bolts to is only 3/8" thick plywood. Feels pretty flimsy.
Not sure how much the 36W RP weighs but it's quite a bit. It's one of Nik's early ones (the FIRST one with half power switch afaik) and he stuffed JMP50 iron in it. It weighs about the same as my '71 JMP50.

My question (finally), has anyone put a heavy 36W chassis into an 18W combo cab and mounted it to the whimpy 3/8 back?

Actually, now that I think of it...I suppose I could just grab a slab of 1/2" plywood, drill a few holes into it and use it instead...sure it will sit a bit proud of the cab, and it wont be covered in the nice off-white tolex...but no one's gonna see it anyway...hmmmm

Oh and BTW...yeah so it's a white cab with gold piping and I JUST finished drilling 5 holes into the face of it and installed a nice wee gold on white Marshall logo onto it. Actually, "Marsnall".
I have the head mounted in a smallbox Marshall 1987X headcab and the top half of the h in Marshall is snapped-off so I "fixed" the combo cab's new logo to match. Now it's a black smallbox Marsnall head on a white 18W Marsnall combo cab.
So...No trademarks were harmed in the making of....oops...ok they were HARMED but...ok..I'll put it THIS way...
Some names may have been changed in the making of this cab to protect the innocent!!

If anyone has experience with putting a 36W into an 18W cab...let me know will ya?

thanks in advance.
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

Could you fit mounting blocks into the sides of the cabinet and mount the chassis to them instead of the plywood back panel?

That's what a friend has done on a couple of speaker cabinet to combo amp conversions ...
0 x

blaren
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by blaren »

Hmmm...not sure. I suppose it's possible. Your suggestion has definitely made me open my mind to completely different options. I was only thinking af the normal mounting method but like you say...there are more ways than one to skin your knuckles...I mean a cat.

I gotta go take a look and see if I can come up with something along the lines of your suggestion.
Thanks
0 x

GlassTornado

Re: 36W chassis in an 18W combo cab?

Post by GlassTornado »

I know it's been a while since this post, but I figure I could chime in in case anyone else needs help, too.

I have a 36w that was in a head. I ordered a Sour Mash 18w cab with 2x10's insted of a 1x12, but still. I just mounted it to the back panel like a bluesbreaker jtm45. Fits. Works totally fine. Looks wonderful. Pretty light, which you were looking for. So in conclusion, it's completely doable to put on in a combo cab.

Hope this helps.
0 x